Baseball: UConn takes on Boston College in midweek matchup

UConn first baseman Bobby Melley takes a swing in the first game of a doubleheader against Colombia on Saturday, March 26 at J.O. Christian Field in Storrs. He went 0-for-5 with two walks en route to a weekend sweep of the Lions. (Zhelun Land/The Daily Campus)

The UConn Huskies baseball team will take on the Boston College Eagles on the road in a midweek matchup at Shea Field in Chestnut Hill, Mass. The game will take place at 3 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, providing the weather holds up. 

This will be the Eagles’ (13-8, 3-6 ACC) first home game of the season, following a 16-6 home record last season. The last time the two teams played, UConn head coach Jim Penders earned his 400th career win in a nailbiting 8-7 win in March of 2015. In the all-time matchup, the Huskies lead the series 64-53 over BC.

Following a good weekend showing versus Columbia, the Huskies (11-11, 0-0 American) are going in to Tuesday’s matchup in good spirits. They are now on a two-game winning streak despite some early season struggles. On the other side of the diamond, the Eagles have lost six out of their last eight games after starting the season 11-2. 

In this battle of teams with records going in opposite directions, UConn seems to be feeling good ahead of the matchup.

On top of recent team success, many of the Huskies are having individual success lately, with a few players near the top of the American Athletic Conference in several statistical categories. This includes standout freshman LHP Tim Cate (Manchester, Conn.), who leads the conference (among qualified pitchers) in ERA with 0.40. 

Infielder Willy Yahn (Sharon, Conn.) is second in the hits category with 33, and 10th in batting average with .337. Senior co-captain Bobby Melley (Barnstable, Mass.) is fifth in conference in runs scored with 22, while Mansfield’s Jack Sundberg is fourth in stolen bases with 10 on the year.

With that kind of outstanding play from individuals, along with some consistent work from the pitching staff and other regular starters such as Zac Susi and Tyler Gnesda, the team as a whole can only be on the way up from there. This stretch of all around good play will hopefully continue into Tuesday’s matchup against Boston College and beyond that as UConn approaches the middle of its season. 

Chris Hanna is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu.