Residential Life to offer senior RA position for upcoming year

A sign is pictured in front of the South Campus Residential Halls on the UConn campus in Storrs, Connecticut. The new RA position will be offered in the 2016-2017 school year and will assist supervisors in the overall residential teams. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

A new senior resident assistant position will be offered to 24 current resident assistants for the 2016-17 school year, according to University of Connecticut Residential Life.

The position is intended to promote interest and provide experience for RAs interested in the field of higher education and student affairs, and to those who wish to further develop their leadership and managerial skills, Resident Assistant Program Specialist Nancy Abohatab said.

According to the UConn Residential Life website, RAs are responsible for developing meaningful relationships with their residents and encouraging an inclusive learning environment.  They are also expected to promote “dignity, integrity, kindness, respect and pride” within the UConn community, as well as hold their residents accountable for community expectations.

“The senior RA will assist the supervisor(s) in the overall administration of their staff team,” Abohatab said. “The core responsibilities provide experiences in the areas of student-staff development, leadership and facilitation.”

The senior RAs will continue to serve as resident assistant for their assigned communities, according to Abohatab. Additionally, they may act as an “RA liaison” for their hall associations, along with supervisors.

“[The senior resident assistant position] sounds like it would be a good opportunity for RAs to practice leading and organizing groups,” sixth-semester HDFS major Erinn Hines said. “These are important skills that RAs across all majors can benefit from, and I hope the program benefits the residents.”

The position compensation for the Senior RA is $1,000 per semester in addition to the current RA stipend of $2,000 per semester.

“Financial aspects are being determined as part of planning for the department’s 2016-17 budget proposal,” Abohatab said. More specifics will be publicly available when the Board of Trustees considers the university’s full fiscal year 2016-17 budget proposal later this spring.

Megan Krementowski is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at megan.krementowski@uconn.edu.