Student thoughts on campus housing, from South to Shippee

A sign is pictured in front of the South Campus Residential Halls on the UConn campus in Storrs, Connecticut. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

If you’re new to the process of housing at UConn, it sounds deceptively simple: get one or a few of your buddies, pick a spot on campus you like, and then live there. Here’s the bad news: you’ve got just about tens of thousands of other students that need to do the same thing.

To those that don’t know: the more academic credits you have, the earlier your pick time for housing. Therefore, your chances of living somewhere luxurious like South Campus will skyrocket if you have an abundance of credits. The less credits you have? Let’s put it this way: your chances of getting a suite will probably fade away.

That said, what are some of the best and worst spots to be on campus? I talked to some students about their thoughts and experiences.

“People complained about the distance Shippee was from the center of campus to the point where it (was) a deal breaker, but I was unphased by it,” said eighth-semester special education major PJ Hutnik. “Storrs Center is right there, so any food necessities are met easily.”

Meanwhile, eighth-semester psychology major Jose Suriel said he thought Shippee’s main appeal came from having a C-Section room (with its own bathroom), and that it wasn’t much worse than living somewhere in West.

Suriel said he thought living in Connecticut Commons wouldn’t have been so awkward were it not for the isolated feel residents could get from having tiny rooms, yet having to still share a bathroom with other random people.

Other students, like eighth-semester English major Michael Jefferson, are not so forgiving of Connecticut Commons.

“They’re doing potential residents a favor by bulldozing (the Commons),” Jefferson said, mentioning that he thought living there was “like living in a prison cell with paper thin walls.”

Second-semester computer science major Scott Norton said he had mixed feelings about spending his first full school year in Towers.

“It’s conflicting because as a freshman everyone wants you to be involved,” Norton said, mentioning that it was easy to feel isolated and annoyed at the idea of having to travel far across campus for an extra-curricular.

Norton did say that Towers dining hall was a plus, since its residents could at least be happy about having “some of the best food” on campus.  

Eighth-semester economics major George Burch, who lives in the Hilltop Apartments complex, joked that the atmosphere “has effectively turned me into a functioning alcoholic,” mentioning its short distance to bars on campus, like Huskies.

“My only complaint is that the efficiency doubles have piss-poor sinkage,” Burch said. “Like my sink can barely fit a baby goat.”

When I asked eighth-semester biology major Alex Dykas about what he thought was the most crucial bit of advice for students to stay somewhere they like, his response was quick, yet strangely poignant and insightful for younger students.

“Find someone to live with that has more credits than you.”

Pick times start today. If you’re a fellow student looking for a place to live, you better make your choice soon.

Anokh Palakurthi is associate life editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at anokh.palakurthi@uconn.edu. He tweets @DC_Anokh.