Women's Lacrosse: Huskies head north to take on No. 4 Syracuse

Freshman midfielder Brooke Jensen (14) cuts through Villanova defenders in a game at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex on Saturday, March 26. UConn defeated the Wildcats 13-8. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team will take the field Tuesday night looking for their first ever win against the No. 4 Syracuse Orange. The Huskies are 0-18 in program history against the Orange.

For the Huskies, this season has so far been comprised of two winning streaks. The first streak saw the Huskies jump out to a 4-0 record, until a lopsided defeat against UMass ended it and gave UConn its first loss of the season. UConn has responded from the UMass loss with a current winning streak, which sits at three games, fresh off Saturday’s win against Villanova.

“The UMass game definitely shook us, but I think it was necessary,” UConn head coach Katie Woods said. “Since that game we’ve started getting back to the things that we do, owning our identity instead of reacting to the other team.”

Senior Kate Finkelston still leads the Huskies with 35 points on the season. She is followed by sophomore Grace Nolan with 32 points, and junior Jacqueline Jordan with 21 points.

Finkelston is currently first in the Big East and fifth in the nation in goals per game, averaging 3.88.

In net for the Huskies (7-1), senior Shannon Nee has started all eight games and has recorded 77 saves on the season. Her .556 save percentage leads the conference, and she is also second in the conference in goals against average (8.18).

Finkelston and Nee have been named Big East Players of the Week, for offense and defense, respectively, three times so far.

“The two of them have done some really good things so far,” Woods said. “They’ve had impressive senior campaigns, and it’s showing right now which is exciting. It’s great to be that strong on both sides of the field.

Syracuse is coming into Tuesday’s contest sitting at 8-3 on the season, with a 2-1 record in the ACC. The Orange are also 3-2 against ranked opponents this season.

The Huskies will have to be weary of well-balanced offense for Syracuse lead by seniors Kayla Trainor with 40 points, Halle Majorana with 35 points, and two players tied at 31 points – sophomore Riley Donahue and freshman Nicole Levy.

“Syracuse is a very good team, and they clearly have a lot of threats on offense,” Woods said. “They definitely do some things differently than other teams. It’ll be an interesting matchup. It’s not necessarily what they do, but what we have to do. It’s going to be about us not getting caught up in the moment.”

Face off between UConn and Syracuse will take place Tuesday night at 6 p.m. in the Carrier Dome.

Connor Donahue is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu.