Roundtable: Where to get your local eats

Plan B Burger in West Hartford is a favorite for burger-lovers. Above is a mushroom burger from the restaurant. (Courtesy/Plan B Burger West Hartford via Facebook)

If you live in Storrs, chances are you’re going to do some late night eating, some weekend brunching and a lot of wings whenever it feels right. With that in mind, we've put together a list of suggestions from Storrs to Hartford where you can rest assured you'll get some good quality grub.

Anokh Palakurthi: Want to get food that’ll make you feel like you’re at Capital Grille, but not destroy your wallet and actually give you a pretty good meal? Check out Firebox Restaurant in Hartford, where not only is their meat pretty great, but they have several great options for vegetarians. I’m personally quite fond of the salmon and quinoa combination they offer, along with their amazing cheese plate starter. To top it all off, why not try some of their dessert, too, which features a delicious smoked apple cobbler. And if you’ve got the money, feel free to enjoy their great wine selection too. 

Angie DeRosa: Situated right in downtown Manchester, only 11 minutes from the Shoppes at Buckland Hills, Lucky Taco is one of the best Tex-Mex restaurants in Connecticut. All food options range from $3-$10 so you can enjoy authentic Mexican food without leaving a dent in your wallet. Typical entrees include burritos and tacos, but they serve wings as well. They also offer an array of craft beers and fresh margaritas at relatively low prices. Two of the three times I’ve gone were on Cinco de Mayo and National Margarita Day; both days had great deals on discounted food and drinks. The next time you’re in Manchester, I highly recommend going there.

Matthew Gilbert: Located a half-hour away in West Hartford is easily one of the best burger joints in Connecticut, Plan B Burger. Three minutes from Interstate 84 on Park Road, Plan B Burger is a mid-tier priced restaurant with a lively and classy atmosphere.  The menu boasts items such as the Italian Job burger, a ground chicken burger with mozzarella and roasted tomato and peppers as well as the Guiltless Greek Burger, a breaded and baked eggplant burger.  Not into the non-traditional? That’s okay because Plan B Burger’s beef is source verified and contains no hormones or antibiotics, is never frozen and ground in house daily. Go here and if you can, stay awhile and hang out at the bar as it’s pretty nice as well.

Anokh Palakurthi is associate life editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at anokh.palakurthi@uconn.edu. He tweets @DC_Anokh.

Angie DeRosa is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at angelina.derosa@uconn.edu.  She tweets @theangiederosa.

Matthew Gilbert is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.gilbert@uconn.edu.