Men's Track and Field: Huskies prep for Texas Relays

A UConn track and field athlete does the hurdles at a meet in April 2015. The Huskies are prepping for the 89th running of the Texas Relays. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

This week the UConn men’s track team will compete in the 89th running of the Texas Relays and head coach Greg Roy and his team continue to adjust to outside competition.

This will be their second time competing outside this year.

UConn opened their spring season last week at the Penn Challenge.

The Huskies finished second at the meet with strong performances by Malik Snead in the triple jump and Michael O'Donnell in the 5000m, both won their respective events.

This week, UConn will compete in the Texas Relays, the two-day Bobcat Invitational, hosted by Texas St. and a single-day unscored CCSU meet.

This weekend will be the team's second time competing at the historic Texas Relays as they also made the trip last spring.

The team will look back on last years’ meet fondly as they secured two top-10 finishes, including a second-place pole vault (5.35m) result from Craig Hunter that threatened two school records during the three-day stretch. Hunter will be hoping to recreate that performance this weekend after not competing this winter.

Schools from the across the country will travel to the meet that is being held at the Mike A. Myers Stadium and Soccer Field, which has hosted many great athletes over the years.

Silver medalist in the 1500m at the 2012 Olympics, Leonel Manzano, bronze medalist in the long jump at Beijing, Blessing Okagbare, and Amy Acuff, who also competed in London representing the United States, have all taken part in the Texas Relays.

After this road trip the Huskies will return home before once again hitting the road to compete in the Hurricane Alumni Invitational held in Miami, Florida.           

The team's first home meet this season will be April 14 when they host the UConn Decathlon.

Antonio Salazar is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazr@uconn.edu.