Roundtable: Welcome to my house

Picking housing is a big deal, so the Life section weigh in on the best places to live around campus.

Claire Galvin: The best place to live on campus is Busby Suites. I lived there for two years and I could not have been happier. You'll get big rooms, big closets and a more private bathroom. The only problem is the Busby Hill, but take the bus and you'll be fine. I've been blessed with housing, but I imagine the worst place to live on campus is Towers. It's far away and the rooms are small. There's a reason freshmen and sophomores are placed there.

Anokh Palakurthi: When you think Hilltop Apartments, you think LIT! Why isn’t it called Littop Apartments or Hilltop Apartlit? With several students living around you in an enjoyable apartment complex, as well as a comfortable space with your own bathroom and a community center nearby, the place is more lit than a damn light bulb. Literally - if you live there and hang out there on weekends, the apartments are usually lit up because there are several ragers going on there. Not to mention, the close proximity to bars like Ted’s, where students are, you guessed it, lit on weekend.

If you’re not about the lit life, then you can always just relax and watch a baseball game near Woodhouse on a nice, cozy hill. That’s cool too. LIT!

Kimberly Armstrong: The best place to live on-campus is off-campus. There are no overbearing RAs, your room feels like a home instead of the abandoned wing of a children’s hospital and you rarely, if ever, have to listen to your upstairs neighbors have anonymous sex thanks to this crazy new thing called insulation. Yeah, you have to pay rent, but it sure beats paying the same price for half of a 100 square foot room.

If you have to live on-campus, I’d recommend East. The dining hall selections might be a little limited, but it serves late night breakfast long after other on campus eateries are closed and, most importantly, it’s quiet. East houses a fraction of the students kept in a massive dorm like North, and Horse Barn Hill is right there if you ever want to get away from the buzz of university life. 

Claire Galvin is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at claire.galvin@uconn.edu.

Anokh Palakurthi is associate life editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at anokh.palakurthi@uconn.edu. He tweets @DC_Anokh.

Kimberly Armstrong is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.armstrong@uconn.edu.