Softball: Huskies set for first home game of season

Heather Fyfe digs in at the plate in a game last season. UConn is set for their first home game of the season. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

UConn softball is finally back in Storrs. After 31 games across the country, the Huskies are set to open the home part of the schedule with a doubleheader against Bryant University on Wednesday, March 30.

UConn hasn’t played a home game yet this season, but, according to UConn coach Jen McIntyre, that is a regional issue.

“That’s just part of playing in the northeast,” McIntyre said. “You need to be able to adjust to all the travel, but we’re definitely looking forward to being at home.”

The Huskies posted an 11-20 record leading up to Wednesday’s home opener, including a 1-2 record in their first American Athletic Conference series last weekend against Memphis. Bryant sits at 1-21 on the year, though McIntyre knows that the Bulldogs are much better than their record suggests.

“They’ve been in a lot of really tight games. We’re not going to be fooled by their overall record,” McIntyre said. “They just lost to a very good Boston College team 2-0, and threw a five-hitter. We know that we’re going to have our hands full going into Wednesday.”

Eight of Bryant’s losses have been by just one run, and the Bulldogs will be looking for a change of fortune headed into Wednesday. Despite the number of close games, one thing Bryant has struggled to score runs all season. Only four times this year have the Bulldogs hit the five-run plateau, and their opponents have combined for seven shutouts.

If UConn wants to secure a pair of wins, they’ll need to shut down Bryant’s bats and score plenty of runs of their own.

According to McIntyre, the Huskies have seen improvements in all areas of the game this season. The defense has excelled at turning double plays this year, helping the Huskies get out of jams on multiple occasions.

The offense has also improved, with five hitters – all seniors – hitting at a higher average than last year. However, the team’s offense still has plenty of room to improve.

“They’re starting to find a groove at the plate,” McIntyre said. “We’re going to continue to work to be more consistent attacking good pitches in the strike zone and getting quality RBI production.”

Pete Harasyko is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at peter.harasyko@uconn.edu.