A Page in the Life of UConn students

A student catches up on some reading on a beautiful day at UConn. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

Now that spring break is over and finals are quickly approaching, it’s getting even harder for students to squeeze pleasure reading into their jam-packed schedules.

As an English and history major, sometimes the last thing I want to do is crack open another book after I’ve finished my homework. However, I still managed to find some students around campus who’ve found the time to read for fun, and they told me a little bit about the books they’re currently captivated by.

Lauren Fisher, a 2nd-semester nursing major, is reading “The Art of Racing in the Rain” by Garth Stein. The novel details the lives of racecar driver and Seattle car dealership customer representative Denny Swift and his dog Enzo. Enzo who believes in the Mongolian legend that a dog that is “prepared” will be reincarnated as a human in their next life.

“I really, really like it. It’s written in a dog’s perspective but is really relatable to people and growing up,” Fisher said.

Alex Brashears, a 4th-semester graphic design major, is reading a biography about Keith Haring, an American artist best known for his graffiti-inspired drawings that he first created in subway stations and later exhibited in museums.

“This book is off the chain,” Brashears enthused.

Benjamin Hawkins, a 4th-semester history major, is currently reading “A Short History of Nearly Everything” by Bill Bryson, a widely acclaimed book that explains several areas of science; exploring time from the Big Bang to the discovery of quantum mechanics. Bryson uses language that is easy for the general public to understand regarding sophisticated topics.

“I think it’s great. (Bryson) is a great author and makes anything interesting,” Hawkins said.

James Steel, a 4th-semester mathematics and computer science major, recently finished “Private Empire: ExxonMobil and American Power” by Steve Coll.

According to Steel, “‘Private Empire’ was a great book. It gives the reader strong insight into how the company has progressed and come into its current form since the Exxon Valdez disaster… their involvement with climate science denial, climate policy in the United States, U.S. to sovereign nation affairs, terrorist organizations, and climate policy… how some factors such as the U.S. government, foreign oil rights, and the rise of green technology have directly changed and presented themselves to ExxonMobil.”

As for me, I just started “Why Not Me” by Mindy Kaling. I read Kaling’s first book, “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)” in high school and have been a fan of her work since I first started watching “The Office” in middle school. As an avid viewer of “The Mindy Project” and dedicated Mindy Kaling Instagram and Twitter follower, I find it a pleasure to gain insight into the mind of one of the most fearless and intelligent women in the entertainment business. Plus she’s just hilarious. 

Helen Stec is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at helen.stec@uconn.edu.