Column: The feeling of success? Not in New York

New York Knicks' Kristaps Porzingis reacts during the second half of the NBA basketball game Sacramento Kings, Sunday, March 20, 2016 in New York. The Kings defeated the Knicks 88-80. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

This has been another disappointing season for the New York Knicks under the watch of team president Phil Jackson.

The Knicks are 30-45 and mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. There was hope, however, this season. They drafted rookie sensation Kristaps Porzingis, and they played relatively well to start the season with a 22-22 record.

Now, I admit, 22-22 is not a huge accomplishment, but there was reason to believe that if the team continued to play well in the second-half, they could sneak their way into the playoffs. Well that turned out to be nothing but a pipe dream. This team has completely imploded since then.

The biggest blow might have came on Tuesday when Carmelo Anthony told reporters he is looking forward to the Olympics this summer to know what it is like to feel success again.

I mean seriously, how depressing is that to hear for anyone involved with the Knicks organization and the fan base. At age 31, Anthony is in the back end of his prime and all he wants is a shot at a ring. However, the Knicks are just nowhere close to that dream becoming a reality.

Sure they added Porzingis, but after that this roster is in a heap of trouble. Jose Calderon has started 71 games at point guard. That is the last thing that you want if you are a team playing in this golden age of point guards.

The Knicks also lack any real shot of making things better this summer. They are already without both a first round pick and a second round pick in the upcoming draft due to past trades. They also do not have the cap space to get significantly better by adding multiple contracts.

They are instead just stuck in a waiting period. The worst thing is, what is best for Anthony is not what is currently best for the Knicks. The Knicks are better off just looking to the future and try to find players to build around Porzingis.

That is why the best move for Anthony would be to just waive his no trade clause and look to win a ring elsewhere. Now, it would be tough to trade Anthony’s large contract, but he has shown this year that the reputation surrounding him that he does not want to adjust his game to win is just false.

Anthony has proved that he will play in any system by the way that he has adjusted his game to suit Jackson’s triangle offense. He is still scoring effectively, averaging 22 points per game but he has also reached a career high in assists per game, with 4.2. He has shown that he is not going to just be a volume shooter anymore; he is just trying to win.

A trade of Anthony would also be a good thing for the Knicks if they were able to get back some assets to help them win in the future.

Although Anthony wanted to win a ring in New York, it just might not be meant to be. Anthony should just ask for a trade and a chance to feel success again elsewhere. 

Spencer Mayfield is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at spencer.mayfield@uconn.edu.