Police arrest multiple students in Xanax burglary

Shown above are about a dozen two-milligram Xanax pills, similar to the 10 pills confiscated by police in the burglary and possession charges of seven UConn students. (Dean812/Creative Commons)

Seven University of Connecticut students were arrested over spring break in connection with a drug deal and robbery that occurred in January, according to a court affidavit.

Joseph Steffan Calderon-Mayette, 18, Demetrios Paris Karounos, 19, Daniel Mark Parzych, 19, Joseph Christian Rocco, 20, Zakaria Khattabi, 19 and Jahid Hossain Uddin, 21, were arrested over spring break, according to the affidavit. Carlton Hunte, 19, turned himself in to police on March 21, according to the police report.

“On January 25, 2016, police responded to McMahon Hall for a reported robbery,” according to the affidavit. “Throughout the investigation, it was learned that between January 23, 2016 and January 25, 2016, there were several illegal drug transactions of Xanax made.”

Karounos notified police that he was assaulted and robbed outside of McMahon on Jan. 25, according to the affidavit.

Karounos later told police that he was with Parzych on Jan. 23, and had told Parzych that he wanted to buy Xanax, a prescription drug, according to the affidavit. They both went to Rocco’s dorm with the intention of illegally buying the drug, according to the affidavit.

“There, Parzych purchased an amount of Xanax from Rocco for Karounos,” according to the affidavit.

On the night of Jan. 25, Karounos received a text regarding the purchase of the Xanax, and went to Khattabi’s dorm, located in Lancaster Hall in West Campus. Upon arrival, Uddin and Hunte assaulted Karounos, according to the affidavit.

Calderon-Mayett was charged with robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery and assault. Rocco was charged with robbery, two counts of the attempt to distribute/sell a controlled substance and burglary. Karounos was charged with robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery and attempt to distribute/sell a controlled substance, according to the affidavit.

Hunte was charged with conspiracy, robbery and burglary. Uddin was charged with robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, burglary and conspiracy to commit burglary. Parzych was charged with conspiracy to commit robbery, burglary, conspiracy to commit burglary and distribution of a controlled substance, according to a police report.

Annabelle Orlando is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at annabelle.orlando@uconn.edu. She tweets @AnnabelleOrland.