Presidential Profile, Part X: Donald Trump’s America

Mike Morrill takes a selfie with Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump during a rally Wednesday, March 30, 2016, at the Radisson Paper Valley Hotel in Appleton, Wis. (Wm. Glasheen/The Post-Crescent via AP)

Donald Trump is a businessman and reality TV star who is vilified by Democrats (and select Republicans) as a bigot, a bully, and a candidate unfit for high office. However, the majority of Republican voters see Trump as a man unafraid to speak his mind, and as one who exudes strength in his quest to “make America great again.”

Before laying out his views, it is important to know three things. One: Donald Trump’s voter base is white Americans without college degrees, per FiveThirtyEight. Two: Donald Trump has been vociferously accused of racism. Three: Donald Trump has been consistently accused of misogyny. Trump has predicated his campaign on not being a politically correct candidate. 

Last month, Trump received an endorsement from the former leader of the Ku Klux Klan, David Duke. He would not disavow this endorsement, saying that he did not know Duke so it was impossible to disavow, until about a week later, after repeated evasions. Duke said of white people that a vote against Trump is “treason to your heritage.”

In this Tuesday, March 29, 2016 photo, a girl who was protesting Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump at rally in Janesville, Wis., is escorted by police after being pepper sprayed by a man in a crowd during a confrontation outside the hotel where Trump was speaking. Her face was stained by the spray. (Amber Arnold/Wisconsin State Journal via AP)

The Trump Management Corporation was sued by the Justice Department in 1973, when Trump was president at the time, for racial discrimination toward black people who were attempting to rent apartments. 

In his presidential campaign announcement speech, Trump said that Mexican immigrants were both “criminals” and “rapists.”

Trump was a leader of the “birther” movement, that claimed Barack Obama was not born in the United States. 

Two of Trump’s main campaign policies are completely banning Muslim entrance to the U.S. and building a gigantic wall on the Mexican-American border to keep out immigrants. 

Trump’s campaign rallies — now notorious for their vulgarity, violence and rampant racism — have even seen Trump condoned said violence.

“If you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of them, would you? Seriously. Okay? Just knock the hell – I promise you, I will pay for the legal fees,” Trump said at one rally. 

Trump has a habit of referring to minority groups as monoliths. Here are a few examples:

“I have a great relationship with the blacks.”

“I love the Muslims. I think they’re great people.”

“The Hispanics are going to…love Trump.”

Trump’s attitude toward women is primarily centered on their physical qualities. He told a journalist who asked him a question that “you wouldn’t have your job if you weren’t beautiful.” He has commented on what he believes to be the unattractiveness of Angelina Jolie, Bette Midler and Rosie O’Donnell. He said in an interview, “it doesn’t really matter what [the media] write as long as you’ve got a young and beautiful piece of ass.” He has also made note of Fox News reporter Megyn Kelly’s menstrual cycle. While hosting the reality TV show “The Apprentice,” Trump told a female contestant that it “must be a pretty picture, you dropping to your knees.” This is an abbreviated list.

Trump is the Republican frontrunner for president, leading with 736 delegates to Ted Cruz’s 463. 

Civil rights

While Trump has acknowledged the “great work” Planned Parenthood does for women’s health, like the rest of the Republican field, he plans to defund it. 

Once pro-choice, Trump declared that he had “evolved” into becoming pro-life in 2011. His view on abortion is to ban it completely, with exceptions for rape, incest or health. 

Apparently, Trump has no qualms with affirmative action, although, he told Chuck Todd, an MSNBC reporter, in an interview that “it’s coming to a time when maybe we don’t need it. That would be a wonderful thing. I don’t think we need it so much anymore. It has served its place.”

Trump is against gay marriage and LGBT rights. 

In an interview, Trump recognized police brutality toward black people is an issue, but this year he has been quoted as saying the police are the most mistreated people in the country. 

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump talks to the crowd about the protesters that interrupted him and were removed from a rally at Lenoir-Rhyne University in Hickory, N.C., Monday, March 14, 2016. (AP Photo/Chuck Burton)

Taxes

Trump thinks the U.S. should eliminate its corporate tax rate. 

Climate change

Trump believes climate change is a hoax. He also says the U.S. does not do enough oil drilling. 

Foreign policy

Trump has relied on his alleged business acumen and ability to make deals when speaking on foreign policy. He wants to lead negotiations between Israel and Palestine. He wants Russia to destroy ISIS and China to control North Korea. He doesn’t want to buy oil from Saudi Arabia or other Arab allies unless they put troops on the ground to fight ISIS. He is okay with Japan and South Korea building nuclear weapons. The New York Times writes: “In Mr. Trump's worldview, the United States has become a diluted power, and the main mechanism by which he would re-establish its central role in the world is economic bargaining. He approached almost every current international conflict through the prism of a negotiation, even when he was imprecise about the strategic goals he sought.” 

Government services

Trump is against cuts to Social Security, Medicaid and Medicare. He has lauded the single-payer health care system of Scotland and Canada. If elected, he hopes to cut or completely eliminate the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Education. 

College education

Trump has not spoken definitively on his policies regarding college education, but he founded the for-profit Trump University, which was not a university at all, since it was never accredited. 

Find the rest of our presidential profiles here:

Presidential Profile: Hillary Clinton and her historic run

Presidential Profile: Ted Cruz, far-right Republican

Presidential Profile: John Kasich works to stand out in a crowded field