UConn considers closing Torrington campus

A building on UConn Torrington's campus in Torrington, Connecticut. (UConn Torrington)

In response to state budget cuts, the University of Connecticut may look closely at its regional campus in Torrington, Connecticut. 

UConn officials met with lawmakers on Thursday and Friday and are planning to propose closing the branch, according to NBC Connecticut.

Torrington mayor Elinor Carbone asked UConn to keep “an open line of communication” in order to discuss a way to keep the branch open, and said that the campus is critical to Torrington. 

“The Torrington campus has the UConn College of Agriculture extension building, which is a vital resource to local Litchfield farmers because it connects them to UConn research and helps them with agricultural issues in their area,” said Torrington campus transfer Theresa Kurzawa, an eighth-semester English major. “The entirety of the farming community in Litchfield County relies on this extension, and UConn Torrington is the only satellite campus in Litchfield County. I think it’s important to keep the branch open.”

According to UConn’s College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources website, the extension provides producers and consumers with inventive scientific research and education to improve Connecticut’s food production and safety practices.

“The Torrington campus provided a stepping stone between high school and college that made the transition easier; I think the branch is an important asset to the UConn community,” said Torrington campus transfer André Douaihy, eighth-semester Urban and Community Studies major.

In a statement released by the university, UConn spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said, “As President Herbst told legislators last month, because of the challenging budget climate, UConn is looking very closely at all costs and expenditures and is actively exploring the possibility of closing some departments, programs and campuses. Those discussions are ongoing and no final decisions have been made.”

Carbone said she did meet with UConn last week, and was assured no decisions have been made, according to the NBC article.

Megan Krementowski is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus.