UConn Police host ConnCAP outreach event for high school students

A member of the UConn Police Department speaks with high school students during an outreach event the department hosted at its station in Storrs, Connecticut on Saturday, March 5, 2016. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

On Saturday, March 5, 2016, the University of Connecticut Police Department hosted an event for high school students in the Connecticut Collegiate Awareness and Preparation Program (ConnCAP).

Students participated in mock traffic stops, terry stops and crime scene processing, in particular fingerprints and how to become a police officer in Connecticut.

Sixty out of the 115 students in ConnCAP participated in the event, ConnCAP director Susana Ulloa said. ConnCAP is a program that is offered to Hartford and Windham high schoolers from low-income families and/or will be the first generation to go to college, she said.

The event had been in planning for six weeks and talks about having the event started in the fall, UConn Police Captain Maggie Silver said.

All of the activities were hands-on, which allowed students to do the activities after watching and being coached by UConn police officers. The officers would show the students what to do, and then allow the students to be put in the situation of the officers.

(Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

One recurring theme that came up in every station and activity was integrity and character.

Many students had enjoyed the experience and had learned things that they normally would not have like, 10th grader Danajah Vazquez.

“I came today, so I can see my friends and to learn things that I normally wouldn’t,” she said. “ I learned that not all cops are bad, and that what they do is for their safety and the other persons safety.”

Micheal Menzie an 11th grader that attended the event had learned things that he normally would not have.

“I learned how to become a cop,” he said. “And the basics of being one.”

Another student, 11th grader Diamond Slay learned a lot about safety and was looking forward to seeing the K-9s.

“I came with ConnCAP to learn about cops,” she said. “ I learned that when cops ask you to step out of your car, it’s for their safety and your safety. I really want to learn more about the K-9 units, because I’m really interested in them.”

The day ended with a K-9 unit demonstration, which most of the students enjoyed and asked many different questions regarding the training that is required to have a K-9.

Annabelle Orlando is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at annabelle.orlando@uconn.edu.