Women's Hockey: Huskies eliminated in Hockey East playoffs

Leah Lum rushes the net during UConn's 4-3 triple overtime victory over New Hampshire at the Freitas Ice Forum on Feb. 27, 2016. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

After losing a heated contest to Boston College, the UConn women’s hockey team’s season ended this Saturday 4-2.

The Huskies swept New Hampshire last weekend in a best of three series and moved on to face the Eagles in a one game playoff in the Women's Hockey East semifinals.

Heading into the match, Boston College was heavily favored; the Eagles have not lost a match this season.

The Huskies put up quite the fight when the teams met earlier this year. The Huskies fell 5-4 in the team’s third meeting of the regular season. At one point, the Huskies were leading 3-2, which was only the third time BC had trailed an opponent at that point in the season.

On Saturday, it was more of the same for the Huskies.

With less than five minutes left in the first period, BC capitalized on a power play to take the lead as Haley Skarupa scored.

Halfway through the second period the Eagles doubled their lead, this time through Meghan Grieves.

Despite trailing one of the best teams in the country, the Huskies did not give up and were able to mount a comeback.

Leading scorer Theresa Knutson cut the deficit in half with four minutes left in the second period. After a pass from Margaret Zimmer, Knutson went top shelf on BC goaltender Katie Burt.

The Huskies got off to a great start in the third period as Justine Fredette tied up the game. Fredette was able to put the puck away despite pressure that ultimately resulted in a tripping penalty. Once again Zimmer got the assist with Kayla Mee earning the secondary assist.

The Eagles were able to stop the Huskies’ momentum, retaking the lead five minutes later, once again scoring on the power play.

Then BC scored once more, putting the game out of reach for UConn and ending their season.

BC went on to win Sunday’s final against Boston University 5-0.

After her 113-save performance in the quarterfinals and her 36-save performance against the Eagles in her final game for UConn, goaltender Elaine Chuli broke two more Hockey East Records.

The first was for most saves in WHEA tournament history, with 149. The senior also broke the record for post-season career saves, with 335.

Antonio Salazar is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazr@uconn.edu.