Lacrosse: UConn remains perfect in conference play

Carly Palmucci, #13, looks to make a pass during UConn's 12-10 victory over James Madison on Feb 21, 2015 at the Sherman Sports Complex. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team will leave Milwaukee with a win after outlasting the Marquette Golden Eagles on Saturday in a high-scoring affair, 15-13.

UConn improves to 3-0 in Big East play and 9-2 overall. The loss drops Marquette to 4-8 overall and 1-1 in conference play.

In an extremely balanced day for the Huskies offense, three different players notched hat tricks or better. Senior Alexandra Crofts and junior Maggie Tripodi both netted four goals. For Tripodi’s, this was a career high. Sophomore Grace Nolan alsotallied three goals.

The Golden Eagles jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, but the Huskies responded with a 6-1 run, including two goals each by Crofts and Tripodi, and one each by Nolan and junior Jacqueline Jordan.

With the score at 6-3 at 14 minutes into the first half, Marquette responded with a run of their own, scoring five unanswered goals. Junior Ally Tilley ended the UConn scoring drought with a goal, and Crofts soon followed suit. The two teams would trade two more goals; the game would reach halftime at 9-9.

The second half started off as almost a mirror image of the first. Marquette scored two quick goals before the Huskies rattled off six straight. UConn went up 15-11 halfway through the second frame.

With a four-goal lead, it was up to senior goalkeeper Shannon Nee and the UConn defense to wrap it up. Nee came through; the Pennsylvania native made seven big saves in the second half to preserve the lead. She finished the day with 10 saves, four groundballs and one caused turnover.

Marquette found the net twice in the last three minutes, but it wasn’t enough; the Huskies were able to close it out the win on the road.

Three players from Marquette also finished the day with hat tricks. Senior Hayley Baas, along with freshmen Grace Gabriel and Cate Soccodato tallied three goals.

UConn will close out their road trip on Wednesday with a game against Temple at 3 p.m.

Connor Donahue is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu.