‘Bloodline’ returns to Netflix for tumultuous second season

Video by Netflix US & Canada

Netflix’s Golden Globe-nominated original thriller “Bloodline” is returning for a second season this spring. Running for 10 episodes, the show will premiere on May 27 on Netflix for viewers’ binge-watching discretion.

The series first premiered in February 2015 at the Berlin International Film Festival and was available on Netflix in March of that year. Running at 13 episodes, the show was created and produced by Daniel Zelman, Todd A. Kessler and Glenn Kessler, who have worked previously on the Fox Network thriller “Damages.” There are also episodes directed by Johan Renck, who has directed television hits such as “Breaking Bad” and “The Walking Dead.”

The series focuses on the Rayburn family, consisting of brothers John (Kyle Chandler), Kevin (Norbert Leo Butz) and Danny Rayburn (Ben Mendelsohn), the daughter Meg (Linda Cardellini), the father Robert (Sam Shepard) and mother Sally (Sissy Spacek).

When Danny, the stereotypical black sheep of the family, travels to the Florida Keys to celebrate the 45th anniversary of the Rayburn House, Robert and Sally’s pierside inn, it’s revealed that the family is deeply entrenched in organized crime, drug dealing and police corruption. This causes Danny to attempt to expose his family’s wrong-doings, yet in the process, he becomes embroiled in the crime world himself.

The show deals with multiple themes of guilt, blame, familial loyalty, betrayal and child abuse, as Danny’s quest to unearth the dark dealings of his family brings turmoil to both his life and theirs. In the first season’s finale, his story comes to an end when John kills Danny in a fit of rage, drowning him in the pier.

The second season deals with the ramifications of this, mainly with John and the Rayburn family dealing with Danny’s death. Several of the conflicts inflicted by Danny in the previous season return, along with a ghost from the past: the accidental death of Sarah Rayburn, the youngest Rayburn sister, that was originally pinned on Danny, but that may not have not been as accidental as originally implied.

Danny’s past isn’t entirely squeaky clean. The trailer reveals that some of his past dealings may come into the conflict, further complicating the plot.

Overall, the theme for season two can be summed up as: ‘from bad to worse.’ So, “Bloodline” fans, hold onto your hats, because it’s going to be a wild ride south from here.

Marlese Lessing is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu.