South, Hilltop among most sought-after housing during selection times

The Louisa J. Rosebrooks Residence Hall in UConn's South Campus residence area in Storrs, Connecticut. (Jackson Mitchell/The Daily Campus)

Housing selection opening times for undergraduate students at the University of Connecticut Storrs campus finished on Sunday, with nearly 7,800 students eligible for housing.

Housing selection times vary between students, and are based on the current number of achieved academic credits, with honors students having their own earlier pick time for designated honors housing.

Select apartments and dorms were particularly competitive this year, with locations such as Hilltop Apartments, Mansfield Apartments and South residence halls largely filling up in the first and second days of selection.

Due to the closing of Connecticut Commons, many honors students were substantially affected by the changes in their housing options for the upcoming academic year. 

“I did not want to leave and intended on staying in CTC until graduation. I would rather stay in CTC than go, well, anywhere else on campus,” fourth semester physics major Teddy Sauyet said.  

Connecticut Commons’ central location and single dorm room arrangement made it particularly popular among Honors students. As a result of the limited number of singles dorms on campus, it has been somewhat difficult for students who wished to get similar housing. In the absence of CTC, there are only 214 single suite dorm rooms available.

“I was not able to get my first choice,” said Sauyet. “Not in honors housing, did not get a single.”

Ultimately many honors students have opted to live in either allocated housing in South’s Snow Hall or in Hilltop apartments. Despite the perception, the shuttering of Connecticut Commons did not lower the total amount of housing options available on campus. 

“The opening of the Next Gen Hall dorm will more than absorb the loss of rooms from Connecticut Commons,” UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said. 

The access to on-campus apartments has also been especially competitive. For sixth semester computer science major Michael Presch, the availability of needed rooms in Charter Oaks Apartment was not a guarantee even though his roommate had a pick time at 1 p.m on March 29th - one of the earliest times possible.    

“Everything worked out for me, but we didn’t get the location we wanted” Presch said. “We had seven people we wanted to live with, and we ended up not getting the building we wanted”

For rising sophomores, the difficulty in getting an on-campus apartment was even more pronounced. Although having nearly junior level of credits, Molly Stadnicki, a fifth semester psychology major and a reporter for The Daily Campus, was unable to get her first choice of housing suitable for herself and three roommates.

“I checked and saw that pretty much all of Mansfield was still available. But by the end of the day on Wednesday, a lot of them were taken very quickly,” Stadnicki said. “By the end of the day on Thursday, there were three apartments open with two spots each, and I was planning on pulling in two people, so we needed three spots to be open.”

In past years, Mansfield Apartments normally has been available to students who have had 55 or greater number of credits.

“I ended up getting Busby. We’re going to put in an application during Summer Room Change to see if we can get into Mansfield Apartments after other people start moving their housing around and dropping things,” Standnicki said.

Despite the competitive nature of housing however, there were no significant problems in the handling of selection options and roommate requests. The Residential Life website was generally able to handle the additional traffic associated with the selection process.

“Overall I would say that everything was fine,” Presch said.

Fatir Qureshi is a staff writer at The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at fatir.qureshi@uconn.edu.