Humans of New York Photographer Brandon Stanton Announced for Spring Lecture

Photo courtesy of Humans of New York Facebook page.

In a city of eight million people, Brandon Stanton had the idea to try and capture some of its most interesting citizens, which lead to the now-famous “Humans of New York” story telling project. Stanton was just announced as the lecturer for the annual Spring Lecture on April 23rd.

Stanton, a former trader on the Chicago Board of Trade, says on his website that his work has been satisfying, if unconventional, and he has met amazing people during his travels.

“After I lost my trading job, I decided to move to New York City and take portraits on the street. Mom wasn’t too happy about that decision, but so far it’s gone pretty well,” Stanton wrote. “I’ve taken nearly 5,000 portraits and written 50 stories. And I’ve met some amazing people along the way.”

The announcement that Stanton would be the speaker at the Spring Lecture was made early Wednesday afternoon on the Instagram account of the Student Union Board of Governors, or SUBOG. It immediately prompted a flurry of excitement, including calls to move the venue for the lecture, which has traditionally be in the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts, to Gampel Pavilion due to interest in the lecture.

“Yall should do Gampel, bigger venue cause the interest is HUGE,” one user with the screen name Simplitina wrote.

In addition to Humans of New York, or HONY, Stanton has written a book and currently manages his website, humansofnewyork.com. His blog boasts millions of followers on social media and a “worldwide audience.”

“With over eight million followers on social media, HONY now provides a worldwide audience with daily glimpses into the lives of strangers in New York City. It has also become a #1 NYT bestselling book,” Stanton wrote on the blog. “It’s been quite a ride so far.”

Stanton has been featured on dozens of news networks and social media sites, including Tumblr, CBS and the Wall Street Journal.

“Mr. Stanton, by his own admission, likes to take risks…He is now betting on a project that so far has paid him nothing. Since November 2010, Mr. Stanton has walked the streets of New York every day, making portraits of strangers,” according to a Wall Street Journal profile of Stanton from 2012.

The lecture will be free for all UConn students and will take place in Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts on April 23rd. The SUBOG Instagram account promised that ticket information will be available soon.

“Photographer and creator of Humans of New York, Brandon Stanton, is this year’s SUBOG Spring Lecturer! His lecture will be free for UConn students and take place on April 23rd in Jorgensen. Ticket info coming soon!” according to the account.