A Page in the Life: Reads to get through the final push of spring

A student walks between rows of books in Homer Babbidge Library. Some students find it difficult to find time to read for fun during the semester, but others find the time to read books they love. (Zhelun Lang/Daily Campus)

Finals are quickly approaching and classwork is rapidly piling up for many college students, making it more difficult than ever to find any time for pleasure reading. However, I managed to find several UConn students who’ve found the time to pick up a book of their choice over the past couple of weeks.

Madison Savage, a 4th semester history major is currently reading “Psychos” by Babe Walker, a book about a spoiled “white girl” fresh out of rehab for her shopping addicition.

“It’s a guilty pleasure silly book that’s sort of an escape from school reading. It makes me laugh and it’s nice to be able to take a break from reading things that are serious,” Savage said.

2nd semester nursing major Maddie Honeyford is reading “Diary of an Oxygen Thief” by NLVI, which tells a story of deep pain, neglect and abuse.

“I like it a lot. It’s dark but felt truthful and doesn’t sugarcoat anything about how people hurt other people. It makes you angry too, but you can’t stop reading it anyway,” said Honeyford.

Carina Immer, a sixth semester resource economics major, just finished “Franny and Zooey” by J.D. Salinger, a novella about two troubled young siblings.

“‘Franny and Zooey’ was really good. It was a lot different than Salinger’s other books because it’s not too eventful or adventurous. It’s written more like a monologue, but it still was very Salinger-angsty, witty, and really relatable,” Immer said. “I read it because obviously it’s a classic, and I feel like I should have read it a long time ago. My parents were pushing it on me for a long time, and after I finally finished it, I knew why they were pushing it on me so much.”

Now Immer is reading “The Omnivore’s Dilemma” by Michael Pollan, which asks the question of what people should eat for dinner.

"Franny and Zooey," a novella about two troubled girls by J.D. Salinger (pictured above), was praised by a student after her parents pushed her to read it. (Flickr/Brighter than Sunshine)

“For my major I study food production, policy and culture, and I feel like it’s just definitely a book I should have under my belt. I’ve read segments before, but this time I’m reading it start to finish, so I’m excited to get into it,” Immer said.

As for me, I just finished rereading “Jane Eyre” by Charlotte Bronte. I originally read it in high school, but absolutely hated it because I thought it was too slow and boring. After going through it a second time, I realized I was totally wrong. Jane is a fascinating character, and though the book is long, the plot moves forward at a rapid pace, with plenty of shocking twists.

With only a bit more than three weeks left of the semester and finals getting closer, it will be increasingly difficult for students to read for fun. However, come May, hopefully there will be plenty of time for everyone to spend some time with a book of their choice.

Helen Stec is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at helen.stec@uconn.edu.