Confessions of a Fashionista: Festival fashion

The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, held annually in Indio, California, draws scores of people and Hollywood stars. The style usually follows an eccentric, bohemian look. (Flickr/Malcolm Murdock)

Summertime is almost here, and I don’t know about you but for many that means concert season has finally arrived! Better than your average concert where you only go to see one artist, festivals definitely get you the biggest bang for your buck. Every year you hear about Coachella in California, Firefly in Delaware, Bonnaroo in Tennessee, Lollapalooza in Chicago (which has an EPIC lineup this year just saying), Governors Ball in NYC the list goes on and on.

Second to the amazing music that you can find at these festivals, comes the fashion. Running from stage to stage between your favorite shows is the best runway I can think of, what better place to show off your favorite and most fashionable outfits? For those who have never been to a festival or have absolutely no idea what to wear, imagine a combination of the most extreme hippy you’ve ever seen wandering the streets, and a ton of high waisted shorts and crop tops.

I'm ready

A photo posted by Kendall Jenner (@kendalljenner) on

If you’re looking to go the nontraditional route, I have a couple suggestions for you. My favorite festival Coachella (although I’ve never been) definitely serves as a reference for anyone who’s looking to make an impression with their festival outfit. Celebrities kill the fashion game every single year at Coachella and truly let their Bohemian and edgy styles run wild. One of my favorites that never fails every single year is Vanessa Hudgens. She kills the festival game and her outfits are great no matter what. Kendall Jenner is also another one of my favorites, her versatility and ability to rock anything she puts on definitely shows.

Using Coachella as inspiration for any festival will guide you down the path of figuring out exactly what you want to wear. You can never go wrong with the perfect flowy sundress. That is if you don’t plan on sitting on anyone's shoulders during a show, which I know is hard to guarantee. Another rising trend these past couple years have been flared jeans or yoga pants. Providing the festival isn't Bonnaroo or Firefly where the heat is completely unbearable, a late night show wearing these could be the best choice you make. They’re comfortable and trendy, what better combo is there? 

The one thing everyone always forgets when putting together an outfit are the accessories. Festivals give you so much to choose from because everyone always goes all out, wherever you go you’ll see everyone decked out in necklaces, bracelets, body paint and jewels as well as every type of flower headband you can imagine. It almost feels a little like Halloween except everyone is dressed the same way so there’s no fear of overdoing it because everyone will be doing the same thing.

The best part of any of these festivals is that whatever you wear is totally up to you. You get to decide just how crazy you want to get and go all out if you want. Enjoy the music, food and fashion and you’re one hundred percent guaranteed to have an amazing time.

Michelle Marquez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at michelle.marquez@uconn.edu.