Women's Basketball: Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck first three chosen in WNBA Draft

Morgan Tuck, Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson celebrate winning the national championship over Syracuse at the Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Tuesday April 5, 2016. Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck were the first three players selected in the WNBA Draft. (Bailey Wright/The Daily Campus)

Even with their season over, members of the UConn women’s basketball team continue to make history.

After becoming the first group of collegiate basketball players to win four-straight national championships, the senior class of Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson and Morgan Tuck became the first group of players from the same school to be drafted with the first three picks of the WNBA draft.

Stewart was selected No. 1 overall by the Seattle Storm and became the fifth Husky to be taken with the top pick and the first since the Minnesota Lynx selected Maya Moore in 2011.

The senior forward joins former UConn greats Sue Bird and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis in Seattle, who picked No. 1 overall for the second year in a row. Stewart will join Mosqueda-Lewis and Jewell Loyd, last year’s No. 1 pick, to form a competitive young core for the Storm.

Jefferson was taken with the No. 2 pick by the San Antonio Stars. Jefferson will be relied upon heavily to fill in for Danielle Robinson, who will miss the entire 2016 season due to a torn Achilles.

The Silver Star’s pick marked the second time UConn has had the top two picks in the WNBA draft. Sue Bird and Swin Cash were the first pair of Huskies to be selected back-to-back when they went No. 1 and No. 2 respectively in the 2002 WNBA draft.The Connecticut Sun made history happen by selecting Tuck with the No. 3 pick, keeping the Bolingbrook, Illinois native in Nutmeg state for at least a few more seasons. The Sun selected Rachel Banham of Minnesota with fourth pick to stock up on young and versatile talent in order to inject life into a franchise that hasn’t made the playoffs since 2012. The Sun received the fourth pick by trading Elizabeth Williams to the Atlanta Dream in February.

Tuck’s selection marked the second time the Huskies have had three picks in the top four as Asjha Jones was selected with the No. 4 overall pick in the 2002 draft. The forward joins Kelly Faris as the only other UConn alumni on the Sun’s roster.

The Connecticut Sun made history happen by selecting Tuck with the No. 3 pick, keeping the Bolingbrook, Illinois native in Nutmeg state for at least a few more seasons. The Sun selected Rachel Banham of Minnesota with fourth pick to stock up on young and versatile talent in order to inject life into a franchise that hasn’t made the playoffs since 2012. The Sun received the fourth pick by trading Elizabeth Williams to the Atlanta Dream in February.

Dan Madigan is the associate sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @dmad1433.