Lacrosse: Huskies host Vanderbilt for Senior Day

2/21/16 Women's Lacrosse defeated JMU12-10 at the Sherman Family Sportsplex on February 21, 2016. The Huskies will honor 10 seniors and one graduate senior on Senior Day on Saturday. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team will celebrate Senior Day on Saturday when they the Vanderbilt Commodores for a conference game.

The Huskies (10-2, 4-0 Big East) are fresh off a thrilling overtime win in Philadelphia against the Temple Owls. The win gave the Huskies breathing room in the Big East. UConn has a two-game cushion over every team in the Big East besides Florida. The Gators are tied with the Huskies in first place.

Saturday will be the second-to-last home game for the seniors. The following seniors will be honored before the game: Alexa Bonnes, Alexandra Crofts, Alyson Fazio, Katherine Finkelston, Lauren Kwasnoski, Shannon Nee, Carly Palmucci, Cassie Perettine, Madalyn Pimental, Karaline Smith and Victoria Thompson.

Junior attacker Maggie Tripodi was named Big East offensive player of the week for her five-point performance over the weekend at Marquette. She followed up that game by tacking on two crucial points in Wednesday’s overtime win.

UConn will look to Crofts to continue her impressive play. The senior has recorded two consecutive hat tricks, finishing with four goals against Marquette, and three goals at Temple. She was recognized for her game at Marquette by being named to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll. With another solid performance on Saturday, there is no doubt Crofts will lock up the next week’s Big East award.

With a 13-save performance against Temple, goaltender Shannon Nee ranks first in the Big East in save percentage at .533 and saves per game with 10.17. Nee comes in at third in goals against average, allowing 9.07 a game. Tulane’s Jaqi Kakalecik leads the conference with an astonishing 6.42 goals allowed per game average.

The Vanderbilt Commodores (5-8, 1-3 Big East) are rolling into Storrs off a 13-3 rout of Cincinnati. The Commodore offense is an extremely balanced one. Senior Mallory Schonk leads the team with 34 points, and juniors Kelly Chandler and Jill Doherty are tied with 33 points.

Saturday’s game is slated for an 11 a.m. start at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex. Senior Day ceremonies will commence 20 minutes before face-off.

Connor Donahue is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu.