Track and Field: Men's team hosts UConn Northeast Challenge

Members of the UConn men's track and field team participate in the hurdles event during a meet last spring. Five schools will travel to Storrs to compete in the UConn Northeast Challenge over the weekend. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

This weekend, the UConn men’s track and field team will welcome five teams to Storrs as they host the UConn Northeast Challenge.

“The meet this weekend is a pre-conference meet,” head coach Gregory Roy said. “It’s conference level competition depending on the event, there's quite a bit of speed in the AAC so you're not going to see quite that level of speed this weekend.”

This is the Huskies’ first home meet of the season and their first time at the George J. Sherman Family-Sports Complex since winning the American Athletic Conference Championship last season.

The meet field includes Northeastern, Buffalo, Rhode Island, Albany and Southern Connecticut State University.

“You’ve got like minded programs,” Roy said. “None of these programs are what you call niche programs like some schools have. They all try to field a full team, which is what attracts us to this level of competition.”

The Huskies are only three weeks into the season and are still adjusting to the competition. Roy believes that his team will peak at the right time later in the season.

“The track guys are developing their races through training so they haven't really put in the performances were anticipating down the road,” Roy said. “Right now if your field events part of the program looks great. The potential is there on the track.”

There have not been many surprises for coach Roy in the early season but some athletes have put forward solid performances.

“The javelin group as a whole is doing a great job,” Roy said. “On the track Mike O'Donnell had a great opener in the 5k. I think we’ve trained well and we’ve had decent competition. We’re four weeks out from conferences and six weeks out from the NCAA first round.”

The Huskies traveled across the country in the early season, making trips to both Florida and Texas. With the home advantage and great weather, the Huskies are poised to have a very strong weekend.

“This is exciting; it looks like we are going to have a pretty decent day. We’ll know a lot more after this weekend about where we stand,” Roy said.

Antonio Salazar is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazr@uconn.edu.