Lacrosse: Big East postseason takes shape

The UConn women's lacrosse team celebrates after a goal during their 13-10 victory over Vanderbilt on April 16, 2016 at the Sherman Family Sportsplex. The Huskies secured their playoff position on Saturday. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

Saturday’s set of games in the Big East held significant value for the top teams, hopeful for a spot in the 2016 Big East Championship.

The Huskies (11-2, 5-0) took care of Vanderbilt (5-9, 1-4) on Saturday with a 13-10 win at home. The No. 2 Florida Gators (14-1, 5-0) visited Philadelphia to take on the struggling Villanova Wildcats (3-12, 1-4). The Gators took care of business, dominating Villanova with a 14-4 win.

With their wins, UConn and Florida locked up two spots in the four-team conference championship field. The two teams are currently tied at the top of the table in the Big East with 5-0 conference records. The Huskies will travel to Gainesville next Saturday to close out regular season Big East play against the Gators.

Before Saturday’s showdown, both teams will play conference games on Wednesday; the outcome of the games should make the playoff picture a lot clearer. UConn will play host for the last time this season as the third-place Georgetown Hoyas come to Storrs. Florida will travel to Cincinnati to take on the Bearcats, who are winless in conference play.

Barring a major upset, Florida should take care of business in Cincinnati and improve to 6-0 in the conference. UConn should have a tougher time with a Georgetown team that holds a 3-1 Big East record, their sole loss coming from Florida.

For the sake of the article, we’ll pretend both UConn and Florida come out of Wednesday with 6-0 conference records. Georgetown drops to 3-2, and will most likely be in a battle with Marquette for the third spot.  The next two games are huge for Marquette, if they can get past Vanderbilt on Wednesday and Georgetown on Saturday, they could surprise the conference and snatch the third seed.

Saturday has the potential to be a battle for the one seed in the Big East Championship field between UConn and Florida. No matter what happens, the Huskies will be in the postseason with a legitimate shot at taking home the Big East Championship.

Connor Donahue is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu.