Lacrosse: UConn secures postseason spot with Senior Day win

Madelyn Pimental looks to make a play during UConn' 13-10 win over Vanderbilt on Senior Day at the Sherman Family Sportsplex. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus) 

The UConn women’s lacrosse team secured a spot in the Big East tournament after defeating the Vanderbilt Commodores 13-10 in Storrs Saturday.

UConn protects their perfect 5-0 record against Big East opponents and they improve to 11-2 overall. While Vanderbilt is now 1-4 in the conference and 5-9 overall with the loss.

It was a great day for the seniors as they scored five of the team’s 13 goals on senior day. Sophomore Grace Nolan led the team with three goals, seniors Katherine Finkelston and Alexandra Crofts led the seniors on the team with two goals each.

The Huskies were able to get out to an early 3-0 lead thanks to goals scored by Finkelston, Crofts and senior Carly Palmucci. The Commodores were able to cut the lead down to two with a goal scored by redshirt junior Kelly Chandler. However, the Huskies then went on a 3-0 run thanks to two goals scored by Nolan and another by Finkelston.

With 10:23 left in the first half, senior Mallory Schonk scored her first goal of the game to decrease the Huskies lead to four. In the last nine minutes of the first half, both teams exchanged goals to push the score to 8-4. With 15 seconds left before half time, Schonk scored her second goal of the game and decreased the Huskies lead to three going into halftime.

Senior Alyson Fazio scored her first goal of the game 30 seconds into the second half and push their lead to four and the score to 9-5. The Commodores went on to score five goals in the second half, but the Huskies answered their all their goals to preserve their lead they built up in the first half. The final score of the game was 13-10.

It was another stellar day for goalie Shannon Nee, who was able to save 13 shots on 31 attempts and only allowed 10.

The Huskies will hold their final home game of the regular season Wednesday at 3 p.m. at the George Sherman Family Complex. 

Matt Fontaine is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus, covering lacrosse. He can be reached via email at matthew.fontaine@uconn.edu.