A Page in the Life: "The Princess Bride" is a nostalgic classic

A student is laying on the grass behind the student union and reading a book at April 20th, warm day at UConn. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

This week I talked to four UConn students who’ve managed to find time in their busy schedules to sit down and crack open a book of their choice. Their selections were extremely varied and quite interesting, to say the least.

Haley Morgan, a 4th semester human development and family studies major, just finished “The Pursuit of Happyness” by Chris Gardner, which tells Gardner’s real life rags-to-riches story.

“It was a good perspective on how success can come through passion and perseverance and help can come from the most unlikely places,” said Morgan.

Now Morgan is starting “This is my Daughter” by Roxana Robinson, a story about the struggles of a newly blended family.

8th semester allied health major Erika Sturgis is reading “The Boston Girl” by Anita Diamant, which details the life of a girl whose family immigrates to America in 1915, a time when women were becoming increasingly independent and given more opportunities to expand their lives outside of the home.

“I haven’t gotten too far into it but it’s good so far,” Sturgis said.

Sturgis also recently finished “Dark Places” by Gillian Flynn, a dark psychological thriller about rural America, intense poverty and the Satanic cult hysteria that pervaded the United States in the 1980s.

Erika Elechicon, a 6th semester political science major, just started “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” by Stiegg Larsson, a Swedish crime thriller novel.

“I’m not that far into it. However, I’ve heard it’s really hard to get through at first, but if you push past it, it will get really, really good,” said Elechicon.

4th semester nursing major Emma Rooney just finished “The Song of Solomon” by Toni Morrison, which is about a man’s journey to uncover his family history.

“The book has a lot of unexpected twists, which really kept me interested the entire time I was reading,” said Rooney.

As for me, I just finished rereading one of my favorite books of all-time, “The Princess Bride” by William Goldman. “The Princess Bride” is a hilarious romantic-fantasy-adventure book about the beautiful Princess Buttercup and her fearless true love, Wesley. Most people I know have seen the movie that’s based on the book and I’m always trying to convince them that the novel is even better. I’d recommend it to anybody.

With only a little bit more than two weeks left of the semester, it’s almost time for our wonderful three and a half month break. This summer, hopefully we’ll all find the time to sit down and read a book of our choice, something that many of us don’t realize is a luxury until we’re too busy to do so at school.

Helen Stec is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at helen.stec@uconn.edu.