Only in College: A sandwich is for every occasion

Sandwiches are the most versatile and delicious food in college. (Photo courtesy of Bark/Flickr)

If you ever were to walk into my suite in South, past the bathroom door and look to your right, you would see a handwritten sign taped to the wall, just below the ceiling. The sign is on a faded, salmon-colored piece of copy paper and bares the words “Quotes by Very Important People” in a black, curly, cursive script.

There are a lot of colorful sticky notes below this sign – many of them now held up with a piece or two of duct tape – that say combinations of words that would have little to no meaning for any outsider. Most of them are odd, nonsensical phrases that were funny at the time and always bring a laugh and a smile to my phase. However, there is one sticky note, to the left and slightly below eye level, which sheds more light on reality (my reality that is) than any of the others.

“I came in for a sweater and I came out with a sandwich.”

It’s true. Sandwiches can be very distracting, even when you’re cold.

Bread is defined as a food made of flour, water and a leavening agent, often yeast. It can be used to start a meal, hold soup or make (insert any casserole dish here). Most essentially, however, bread can be used to make sandwiches.

And a sandwich is defined as my favorite form of food.

When I was in high school a sandwich was typically restricted to the meal between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., also known as lunch. Breakfast was more of a cereal or waffle type deal and dinner typically didn’t include bread.

Only in college did this start to change.

Sandwiches became acceptable at all times of day, for all kinds of meals.

English muffins and fried eggs (with jelly) for breakfast. Whole wheat bread or a bagel with literally everything and anything from turkey to tuna (with jelly) mushed between the two halves for lunch. And a dinner roll or wrap filled with grilled chicken, tomato, lettuce, cucumbers, peppers, carrots, pickles and mayo (with jelly) works perfectly for dinner when the options are just a little less than appetizing – or more commonly contain more milk than my lactase-deficient body can handle.

Can you tell I like jelly?

But in all seriousness three sandwiches isn’t always sufficient.

Sometimes I am up late (like right now) and sometimes I get hungry (also now) and sometimes that calls for two pieces of bread spread with a thick layer of peanut butter or chocolate (with jelly).  That makes four sandwiches, and that definitely isn’t the max I’ve ever had in a day.

They are perfect in the dining hall. Perfect in your kitchen. Perfect for on the run. Perfect for in class. Perfect for work. Perfect for in your bed. But most of all, they are perfect with jelly. 

Julia Werth is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at julia.werth@uconn.edu.