Parking to be reduced at S-Lot

S-Lot, located behind South Campus dormitories and next to UConn’s Fine Arts complex will be affected by construction this summer, UConn spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said. (William Chan/Daily Campus)

Parking, or a lack thereof, has long been a complaint of students at the University of Connecticut. University officials said that students should expect parking to be reduced for at least two residential parking lots.

S-Lot, located behind South Campus dormitories and next to UConn’s Fine Arts complex will be affected by construction this summer, UConn spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said.

Corbett said the university will replace the flooring in the first and second floors of a portion of the Fine Arts complex that faces toward Route 195.

Reitz said the project would require a construction fence to be erected through S-Lot.

“The mitigation plan for the construction project includes the reduction of premium student permit parking to 50 spaces on the S-Lot,” Reitz said. 

Kyle Constable, a senior at UConn and a senior staff writer for the Daily Campus, said he has had such trouble finding spots where he can legally park that he has begun accepting parking tickets, letting them transfer to his fee bill and paying for them with student loans.

“By the time I am out of work [S-Lot] is full and I have to park all the way up at Towers and walk back to South,” Constable said. “I am exhausted from working and at this point I just end up taking the ticket… I have acquired a ridiculous number of tickets.”

Constable said despite his best efforts to get a parking pass that would allow him to park near his dorm, he has been met with indifference by Parking Services.

“While we understand that students enjoy having their vehicles nearby, the campus is designed in a way that makes it best for on-campus students to walk and/or take UConn buses between buildings,” Reitz said in response to student comments on parking in a March interview.

UConn’s blue, green, orange, purple and yellow bus lines patrol the campus and, combined, make stops at every commuter lot on campus.

“It’s simple, they don’t have enough residential parking near South Campus,” Constable said. “This is going to be even more of a challenge next year.”

Corbett said construction on an addition to Nafe Katter Theatre, a portion of the Fine Arts complex, is anticipated to begin in Fall 2016 and would end in Spring 2017.

The potential addition would also reduce parking in Lot 1, a small lot to the rear of the Fine Arts complex, by 32 percent from 125 spaces to 85. 

“[The addition] will house a scenery shop, costume shop, welding and paint shops, and more,” Corbett wrote in an email. “The Addition will also create a new rear entrance and lobby to the Fine Arts Complex.”

Corbett said work on the flooring in the Fine Arts complex will begin in May and end by August, but did not give a timeline for when parking spots would be re-established.

Jon Hull is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jonathan.hull@uconn.edu.