Softball: UConn bounces back with win over Boston College

Alyssa Gardea takes a swing during UConn's 7-4 loss to UMass at the Burrill Family Field on Tuesday April 19, 2016. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Coming off a tough loss to UMass on Tuesday, the Huskies rebounded impressively at Boston College Wednesday in an 11 inning classic, coming out on top 7-4, in a non-conference match-up.

Freshman Jill Stockley was the starter for UConn and did superb in an extraordinary effort. The woes of Tuesday’s defeat became strengths as timely hitting for UConn earned them this win

After leaving two on base in the opening frame, UConn would score a pair of runs in the top of the second to jump out to an early lead. Sophomore Ryne Nakama singled and was advanced to second on a bunt single from freshman Kelli Bates. With one out, leadoff hitter Gardea doubled to left centerfield driving in two runs.

Heather Fyfe hit a solo home run to lead off the top of the 11th inning and then Alyssa Garden hit a two-run homer to ultimately give the Huskies the edge.

BC would come back as Jordan Chimento walked to start the bottom half of the inning. Madison Paulson would be put in to pinch run. A single from Megan Cooley gave the Eagles a quick two on with no outs. After a sacrifice bunt, the Eagles had runners on second and third with one out but Stockley was able to force a pop up and a strikeout to exit the inning scoreless.

After a quick put out of UConn in the top of the third, BC would get on the board in the bottom of the inning. Jessie Daulton led off with a double and was advanced to third on a groundout. Annie Murphy put a ball in play forcing an error to get on base and allowing to Daulton to score.

With some help from Eagles’ starter Allyson Frei, the Huskies would bounce right back. Nakama reached on an error and Fyfe was hit by a pitch. Bates quickly singled to load the bases and Frei walked senior Lexi Gifford bringing in Nakama for the first run of the inning.

With the bases still loaded, Gardea flied out and Taylor Townsend put a ball into action but Fyfe was thrown out at the plate, giving the Huskies one out to work with. Frei was able to draw a groundout from Alyson Ambler as the Huskies missed a major opportunity to extend their lead.

Things cooled off for a while before BC came back in the bottom of the sixth. Murphy singled and Tatiana Cortez doubled to give the Eagles runners on second and third with no outs. After a pop up out, Cooley flew out but Murphy was able to tag and score, however Cortez was thrown out at third.

After another futile offensive effort from the Huskies, the Eagles would come up clutch in their final at bat as they were able to force extra innings. Allyson Moore reached on an error and pinch runner Jordan Weed was bunted over to second. Daulton tripled with two outs bringing in the tying run but Stockley was able to avoid the walk-off defeat.

The first two innings of extra innings were a pitcher’s duel with no action. UConn made the first move in the top of the 10th. Gardea led off and got on with a bunt single. After Towsend popped up to the catcher, Ambler would drop a single to put two on. Valerie Sadowl struck out pinch hitting for Pinto, but catcher Jacklyn Dubois came up clutch with a single to centerfield, scoring Gardea.

It wouldn’t hold. Danielle Thomas came right back for the Eagles with a single.  Chloe Sharabba then ripped a one-out double but Thomas was thrown out at the plate. Murphy would force an error at her bat allowing the tying run, to score. The Eagles couldn’t muster anymore offense as Stockley completed her 10th inning.

However, UConn was not going back to Storrs without a victory. Fyfe and Gardea would homer to give the huskies cushion.

Stockley was able to take care of business in the bottom half, securing an impressive extra-inning defeat over Boston College. She threw an impressive 11 innings, had only two earned runs and three strikeouts.

Gardea finished the day three-for-six with four RBIs and two runs. Her timely hitting was part of a day where the Huskies had 10 hits. Fyfe’s go-ahead home run was the deciding factor as the Huskies left Massachusetts with a feel good win.