Spring Weekend Preview: New events added as old favorites return

Students on Fairfield Way on the UConn campus in Storrs, Connecticut during Spring Weekend in April 2015. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Spring Weekend kicked off Thursday with an exposition fair on Fairfield Way from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. 

The exposition included free giveaways, kettle corn and booths where students could speak with Spring Weekend committee members.

This year’s Spring Weekend will include new events as well as old and will end with an outdoor showing of “Deadpool” at the Student Union Mall and “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” at the Student Union Theatre on Sunday night.

Committee member and fourth-semester political science major George Wang said that he is pleased to see popular events from last year’s Spring Weekend return, including the Glow Up the Night 5K and Oozeball.

“We’re very excited to see these events return, and we’re really looking forward to [Spring Weekend],” Wang said.

He also spoke about the expansion of the Food Truck Festival that will be on Saturday from 6 p.m. until 10 p.m.

“We have a lot more food trucks this year because we saw that the lines were so long last year, so we’re hoping for shorter lines,” Wang said.

Sixth-semester mechanical engineering major Zak Quamme said he is also looking forward to Spring Weekend classics.

“I am most looking forward to Oozeball. It's such an exciting event and so much fun to get down and dirty in the mud,” Quamme said. “I love playing volleyball normally, and the added twist of the mud makes it so much more fun to dive around. If you go to UConn, it’s a must.”

Quamme said that he plans on going to even more events this year after only participating in two last Spring Weekend.

“This year I'm going to try to go to some more events, such as the SNL comedians and ‘Deadpool’ outside,” Quamme said.

Spring Weekend events are open only to University of Connecticut students, and students are required to present their UConn IDs and Spring Weekend wristbands in order to enter any Spring Weekend event, according to the event’s website.  

Wristbands can be picked up today and Saturday at the Student Union from 10 a.m. until 9 p.m. and tomorrow at North Campus from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m.

Megan Krementowski is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at megan.krementowski@uconn.edu.