Column: The Mayor of Panic City

Rooting for the New York Mets is never easy. Rarely is it fun and it is always an adventure.

Through the opening two weeks or so of the season, the Mets have certainly Mets’ed.

The offense didn’t show up over the first eight games of the season, producing a slash line of .194/.348/.616 with just two home runs and 20 runs scored.

The fan base, of course, panicked.

“Oh no, the sky is falling.”

“Fire Terry Collins.”

“Resigning Yoenis Cespedes was a mistake.”

All these comments are pulled directly from the Mets sub-Reddit page. It was almost as if everyone had been transported back to last June when the Mets rolled out John Mayberry Jr. and Eric Campbell as the 4 and 5 hitters.

And look, I’ll come right out and say it: I panicked, too. I always panic when it comes to the New York Mets. I guess that’s just what happens when you root for a team that has only had six winning seasons in the 21st century.

Being a Mets fan is not easy. We permanently exist as a little brother in our own city. We’re never given our due respect and no matter how successful a year we have, it’s never quite as good as having 27 World Series titles.

2015 was one of those years. It was magical, exhilarating, enthralling and it just wasn’t enough. The Mets could not complete the ultimate goal and fell short in the World Series. Naturally, the 2016 Mets had sky-high expectations, so the fact that they stumbled to a 2-5 start, you just knew the citizens of Panic City would go crazy.

The offense was dead, the lights out pitching staff didn’t look quite so lights out and the team just didn’t show up for a home stand against the Phillies and Marlins.

Matt Harvey got off to an 0-3 start and didn’t look like the world beating ace he’s been billed as, Jacob deGrom suffered a lat strain and had to deal with a family issue, causing him to miss starts and Steven Matz couldn’t get out of the second inning in his first start. So, yeah, the Mets pitchers weren’t exactly themselves.

But, it’s evened out over the last week. The offense has slugged 23 home runs in their last eight games and the pitchers are beginning to throw like aces again. They’re coming off a three-game sweep in Atlanta and are sitting at 10-7, three games behind the Washington Nationals. All is well. For the moment.

But it is only a reprieve. The Mets will forever be the Mets. Even when the sun is shining, a storm is always on the horizon.

Elan-Paolo DeCarlo is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering men's basketball. He can be reached via email at elan-paolo.decarlo@uconn.edu. He tweets @ElanDeCarlo.