End of semester means transition for many UConn clubs, organizations

A welcome sign inside the UConn Student Union on the UConn campus in Storrs, Connecticut. The building houses a number of student clubs and organizations. (Jackson Mitchell/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut has hundreds of student clubs and organizations, and many apply each year to become student organizations, while others disassemble.

“UConn currently has over 530 student organizations and over 2,000 leaders among them,” Kristen Carr, Coordinator of Student Involvement Programs, said.

Each year there are about 100 new organizations that apply to become official, Carr said. These organizations need to have at least eight members on their roster as a requirement, she said.

A full-time undergraduate or graduate student that is in good standing can start an organization, as long as it is not too similar to an already established organization, according to the SOLID: Student Activities website.

“Our organizations span 22 categories, cover an incredible amount of interests, and have various structures and sizes,” Carr said.

Organization categories are designed to make it easier for students to find and join students based on their interests, according to the SOLID website.

Some of the categories are club sports, honors, politics and activism and special interest and other, according to UConntact.

The organization must also decide what Tier organization it will be, according to the SOLID website. They must also meet the requirements for the Tier.

For example, a Tier-II organization must have a president, vice president, treasurer and secretary, as well as an advisor, according to the website. The officers must also complete the SOLID workshops that are required for each position.

Although many clubs apply to become official each year, others decide to end.

“We typically average around 40 organizations that do not seek to re-register,” Carr said. “A handful of organizations may also willingly disband during the year, due to a variety of personal reasons.”

Some ways to keep an organization going is to make sure that at least eight members are on the roster and that the club is getting new members, she said.

“Seeking out new members and having effective officer transitions is a crucial step in the longevity of any organization,” Carr said.

Annabelle Orlando is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at annabelle.orlando@uconn.edu.