Student Health Services pharmacist arrested for fraudulent prescriptions

Michael Olzinski, a 46-year-old former UConn pharmacist with Student Health Services, was arrested on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 for fraudulently filling in prescriptions and providing controlled substances to friends and family, according to a police affidavit. (Courtesy/UConn Police Department)

A former University of Connecticut pharmacy supervisor for Student Health Services was arrested after he was found to be fraudulently filling in prescriptions and providing controlled substances to friends and family, according to a police affidavit.

Michael Arthur Olzinski, 46, of Coventry, was arrested and charged on Wednesday, April 20, 2016, with first degree larceny, 173 counts of second degree forgery, illegal distribution of controlled substances, illegal possession of controlled substances, obtaining controlled substances by means of fraud and deceit, and failure to keep records, according to his arrest warrant.

“The total loss to the University of Connecticut as a result of Michael Olzinski's actions is $37,954.81,” reads the arrest warrant.

“An internal audit by the University of Connecticut’s Student Health Services and a subsequent investigation by UConn Police have resulted in the arrest of its former pharmacy supervisor on charges of illegally obtaining items, including controlled substances, as a result of forgery,” UConn Spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said.

The total loss to the University of Connecticut as a result of Michael Olzinski’s actions is $37,954.81.
— Michael Olzinski's arrest warrant

UConn’s Office of Audit, Compliance and Ethics (OACE) alerted the University of Connecticut Police Department (UCPD) that Olzinski had potentially committed fraud and thefts, according to the affidavit.

“Staff from OACE explained that during an audit of the Student Health Services Pharmacy, they requested documentation from Olzinski for purchases made by the pharmacy from their primary vendor, AmerisourceBergen” according to the affidavit. “Based on initial review of the documentation, the amount paid to the vendor did not correspond to the amount of goods received as indicated by the documentation provided by Olzinski.”

The OACE looked over prescriptions filled at Student Health Services between 2012 and 2015, according to the affidavit. During the review it was discovered that 244 out of 370 prescriptions were unsigned and given to non-students, and that those called in by phone were fraudulent.

“In August 2015, the UConn Police Department was notified of email communication between Michael Olzinski and another UConn employee that indicated Olzinski was trading over the counter medication for UConn apparel,” according to the affidavit.

Olzinski resigned his position as pharmacy supervisor on June 8, 2015, and is no longer employed by UConn, according to the affidavit.

“Nothing in either the administrative or police investigation found instances in which students were provided with medications illegally, denied medications they were legally prescribed, or lost money or access to services due to the employee’s alleged actions,” Reitz said.

The court date is May 2, 2016, at Rockville Superior Court in Vernon, Connecticut.

Annabelle Orlando is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at annabelle.orlando@uconn.edu. She tweets @AnnabelleOrland