Baseball: Huskies take on Holy Cross on the road

Left handed pitcher Anthony Kay delivers a pitch during his start against Houston on Friday April 15, 2016 at J.O. Christian Field. Kay is widely expected to be a first round pick in the MLB Draft. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

This Wednesday, the UConn Huskies baseball team will make a short trip up to Worcester, Massachusetts to take on the Holy Cross Crusaders at Fitton Baseball Field in a midweek matchup between two teams with records heading in the right direction.

Holy Cross (22-22, 11-5 Patriot League) has been on fire as of late, winning 11 of their last 14 games. Most recently, they went undefeated on a five-game road stretch against Siena and Bucknell, respectively. The Crusaders are 5-5 on their home field this season and 1-1-5 against the Huskies since head coach Jim Penders took over in 2004. The all-time series between the teams goes in favor of UConn, which is now 42-20-4 against Holy Cross.

Despite losing two games over the weekend against No. 20 East Carolina, the Huskies (21-18, 6-5 the American) are still playing some excellent baseball. The UConn pitching staff has been lighting it up nearly all season and the trio of Anthony Kay, Tim Cate, and William Montgomerie showed that again this past weekend.

Cate, a freshman, earned his second-consecutive win over the weekend, and now leads the American Athletic Conference in batting average against with .168. The standout junior Kay is also filling up the stats sheet, ranking second in the conference with 71 strikeouts on the season.

Currently, that puts him at 223 career strikeouts in less than three full years. Kay can break the program’s all-time strikeouts record with just 25 more strikeouts, which is very possible given the amount of time left in the season and the way he’s been delivering all year.

Willy Yahn has had a huge impact at the plate for the Huskies as well. The sophomore leads the conference with 53 hits and is in the top 10 in a number of categories including batting average (.314), runs scored (29) and doubles (12). Penders and the rest of the coaching staff will be hoping other players can follow suit and keep the team’s momentum going into the last quarter of the season.

Chris Hanna is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu.