Ink Hounds: Huskies share the stories behind their tattoos

If eyes are the windows to the soul, tattoos are the roadmap to people’s lives. Beneath their jackets, T-shirts and wrist watches these three Huskies had quite a few stories to tell.

The Scarab

Charlotte MacGregor, a sixth-semester art history major, got a minimalist outline of a beetle on her wrist to express her fascination with Egyptian symbology as well as her rocky relationship with her father, who shared her passion.

“Being an art history major I have a lot of interest in symbology and my dad was an artist,” MacGregor said. “I was introduced to a lot of that stuff when I was really little.”

While ancient Egypt was rich with myth and legend, MacGregor said she was struck by their reverence for the scarab beetle, which lay their larvae in nutrient rich dung balls, where they remain until maturity. In 2000 B.C., it seemed that the young beetles were emerging from nowhere, lending them a msytical quality.

“The scarab beetles literally comes from crap and grows wings and fly away from it just to be worshipped,” she explained.

While MacGregor doesn’t want to be worshipped herself, she said she can relate to the scarab’s determination to persevere in the crappiest situations.

The Thunderbolt and the Flower

Abbey Gantt, an eighth-semester French and German major, got the plane on her wrist in honor of her grandfather, a World War II veteran who helped raise her. Gantt brought a model of his favorite plane, a P4YD Thunderbolt, to her tattoo session to serve as a reference.

“I just couldn’t think of what to do really, but I’ve always wanted a tattoo so eventually I came up with the idea of a plane,” she said.

Gantt plans to extend the bright red flower on her shoulder into a half-sleeve, but there’s no mystery to be uncovered there.

“There’s no backstory other than I like mums,” she said jokingly.

St. Michael

Jimmy Gillen, a sixth-semester history and German studies major, got a portrait of the protector St. Michael on his upper arm to help make sense of life in the Army. Gillen said the tattoo’s intricate shading took more than six hours to complete, but was well worth the discomfort.

“The deeper meaning is conquering your demons, things in your past that you’ve had trouble with,” he said. “It does give me inspiration to get up every day and deal with the stuff that going on in my life.”

Kimberly Armstrong is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.armstrong@uconn.edu.