Softball: Huskies score 16 in thrashing of Hartford

Freshman Jill Tockley delivers a pitch during UConn's 16-0 victory over Hartford at the Burrill Family Field on Wednesday April 27, 2016. Stockley and Kayla Doty combined to throw a one-hit shutout. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

It didn’t take UConn long to get the bats going again after an entire week without a game. The Huskies jumped out to a 10-0 lead after just one inning on Wednesday against Hartford and never looked back.

Pitchers Jill Stockley and Kayla Doty combined to throw a one-hitter as the Huskies cruised to a 16-0 victory in five innings.

Stockley (8-10) got the start for the Huskies, going four innings of near perfect ball. The only blemish on the day was a bunt single from Hartford’s Jenice Aloyo in the top of the fourth inning.

“I thought she threw great,” said head coach Jen McIntyre. “She was a little rusty at the start, but we let her keep going so she could get some more looks against other batters. I thought she sharpened up as the game went on.”

UConn got the offense running early on Wednesday. After Alyssa Gardea lined out to lead off, the Huskies strung together four straight hits — highlighted by an RBI double from Dominique Pinto — to take a 3-0 lead. UConn would bat around in the bottom of the first, sending 13 hitters to the plate.

“We’ve had about a week off since playing Boston College. It was really important for us to get a good game in for our hitters to see some live pitching again,” McIntyre said. “For us to break it open in the bottom of the first inning was huge.”

But the Huskies weren’t done after that. Although they had a quiet second inning, UConn tacked on a pair of runs in the bottom of the third. Gardea ripped a stand-up triple to right field, plating Lexi Gifford. Taylor Townsend followed that with an RBI single to score Gardea, extending UConn’s lead to 12-0.

The Huskies scored four more in the fourth, putting the game well beyond Hartford’s reach. The team strung together five hits and a walk to stretch the lead to 16-0.

Doty came on in relief for UConn to finish off the game in the fifth, sitting Hartford’s final three batters down in order to seal UConn’s second straight win. In total, 10 Huskies recorded hits on the day and eight recorded at least one RBI.

“It’s always nice when the bats are hot because it relaxes the defense and me,” Stockley said. “It makes my job easier.”

Pete Harasyko is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at peter.harasyko@uconn.edu.