End of an era: Staff writer Spencer Mayfield says thanks for the memories UConn

After a distinguished career at The Daily Campus, staff writer Spencer Mayfield offers a fond goodbye. (File photo)

I am not one of those people that is good at saying goodbye. After four years at UConn I knew this day would eventually have to come, but I just did not think it would happen so quickly.

But with graduation less than two weeks away, this final column will be the first of many difficult goodbyes.

Things have definitely changed since I first wandered into The Daily Campus building for my first ever sports department meeting as a freshman, in the fall of 2012.

When I was assigned to cover my first event as a freshman, a UConn Club Polo Match, I never even imagined that my last event would be covering the UConn women’s basketball team winning a fourth straight national championship in Indianapolis, Indiana just three weeks ago.

Covering the women’s basketball team for the past two seasons of their incredible run was an amazing experience. What Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck and Moriah Jefferson were able to accomplish with Geno Auriemma is an incredible feat and they deserve nothing but respect.

There were many highlights along the way the past two seasons on the women’s basketball beat. Covering games at eight different arenas over the years including Madison Square Garden came with a lot of late nights and car-ride sing-a-longs. The peak of each season of course was a trip to the Final Four.

Going to Florida last season with Matt Zampini and Troy Caldeira was a great time. It was my first taste of what it was like to be at a major sporting championship. It was also amazing to just soak in the beautiful Tampa weather after a long winter in Storrs.

This year’s trip to Indianapolis with Dan Madigan and Bailey Wright was also unforgettable. We had an amazing time exploring the city and becoming tourists in our time off (shout out to Uber). It was surreal to think that no other team has won four straight championships.

I will remember both of those trips for the rest of my life. There is no way it would have been possible for me to have these experiences if it wasn’t for The Daily Campus and I am forever grateful of that.

I want to give a special thank-you to all the editors, copyeditors and designers that worked so hard during my time at The Daily Campus. This paper would not run without the endless hard work of everybody involved.

To the fellow seniors, it was great getting to know you all and I am sure you are all ready to go on and do great things in the world.

To Matt Zampini, you did an amazing job as Sports Editor for the past two years and it was an honor to work with you. We had a lot of great times and I can’t thank you enough for your hard work to help us all become better writers. I’m glad to call you a friend and I know you will continue to make us all proud.

To Dan Madigan, you were great as the Associate Sports Editor this year. We came a long way since we both covered our first beat together in the spring of 2014. We sat in the freezing cold for many UConn softball games together that year and it is only right that we covered basketball together this year. I know you are going to do great as Sports Editor next year and I cannot wait to see what you all accomplish next.

I also want to say thank-you to everyone that has ever read one of my articles and given me feedback. I don’t know what is next for me yet but I know my time at The Daily Campus and UConn has helped prepare me for whatever it is. 

Spencer Mayfield is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at spencer.mayfield@uconn.edu.