Men's Track and Field: UConn headed down to Penn Relays

The UConn men's track and field team preps for the Penn Relays. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

This weekend the UConn men’s track and field team heads to the notorious Penn Relays.

It is the 122nd running of the world's largest and oldest relays, and will host teams from around the world. The meet includes high schools from Jamaica as well as a USA versus the World competition.

“It’s called the Penn Relays Carnival because that's what it is. It’s really a lot of fun; people come from all over to watch and they have different games and things like that,” head coach Gregory Roy said.

The meet is known to attract very large crowds. Last year on day two of the three-day meet 48,920 fans filled up Franklin Field, a number much larger than any other crowd that the Huskies have competed in front of this season.

“It’s kind of like the most important ‘unimportant meet’. The field events have the opportunity to do well in their events and advance. Obviously the guys are excited but I do not think they feel any added pressure,” Roy said.

This year will be special for coach Roy and his team as they will run a 4x1600m relay team for the first time in many years.

“This is the first time in my 30 years that we have had four milers for this so it should be fun,” Roy said.

The Huskies distance medley relay and the 4x100m relay are two of the teams stronger relays and coach Roy will be hoping for top-5 finishes in both.

Next up for the Huskies will be the 2015 outdoor American Athletic Conference Championships. The Huskies are the reigning conference champions and will be looking to repeat this year.

Antonio Salazar is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazr@uconn.edu.