Softball: Dominant on both sides of the ball

Alyson Ambler, #13, is greeted by teammates after scoring a run during UConn's 16-0 win over Hartford on Wednesday April 27, 2016 at the Burrill Family Field. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The UConn softball team, to put it kindly, obliterated visiting Hartford Wednesday to the tune of 16-0 in five innings. A tremendous effort at the plate and on the mound powered the Huskies to the decisive victory.

Stockley near perfect

Coming off last week’s extra-inning thriller against BC where she went all 11 innings, freshman Jill Stockley got the start again against the visiting Hawks. In the abbreviated game, she went four innings allowing no runs and no walks with three strikeouts. In four innings she putout 11 of the 12 batters faced and the other was caught stealing. She only allowed one hit and it came in cheap fashion as Jenice Aloyo got on in the fourth off a bunt. She noticeably kept the Hawks off-balance all game, forcing them into some really poor swings and at-bats, never letting them generate the slightest hint of real momentum.

“My off-speed was working well, my curveball is a little bit off speed so that was good. I think that was really throwing some hitters off. That was really my go to today,” Stockley said of her dominant performance.

Junior Kayla Doty came in for the fifth and made quick work of her three batters.

Explosive Offense

The game was over soon after it started as the Huskies put up an impressive 10 runs in the bottom of the first. Five batters on UConn had multi-hit games. Senior leadoff hitter Alyssa Gardea, who would bat twice in the first inning, was 2-for-3 with three RBI’s including a standup triple she roped to right in the third. Senior shortstop Lexi Giford was also 2-for-3 with three RBIs. Jacklyn Dubois and Taylor Townsend were both 2-for-2, Townsend had two RBIs to Ambler’s one and Alyson Ambler also went 2-for-3 with a pair of RBIs. Sophomore Emma Stanley earned her first hit of the season as well; part of a 15 hit day the led to 16 runs for the Huskies.

“It’s always nice when the bats are hot because it puts a relaxation on the defense and me, makes my job easier,” Stockley said.

With the offense erupting, Gifford re-eclipsed the .300 average mark and is now at .308, joining freshman Ally Hernandez at .355. Gardea is right on the cusp at .299 as well.

Winning New England

Wednesday’s win marked the last the Huskies will get over a New England foe this season. After the game Coach Jen McIntyre indicated its something they put a priority on this year.

“We have talked about our midweek games ever since of the beginning of the year that our goal was to win the region and take care of business in the midweek,” said McIntyre.

The Huskies have certainly done so as they finished 7-1 in the region. They knocked off BC, Brown, Bryant (twice) and Central Connecticut State (twice) while their lone loss came last week to UMass.

They also went 3-1 against New York, taking both from St. John’s and one out of two from Hofstra.

Matt Barresi is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.barresi@uconn.edu.