Students in the House: Housing waitlist shorter than normal

Construction on the new dorms provided under the NextGEN plans for UConn, as seen from from the upper level of North Garage. The ScHOLA2RS House will be located in these new dorms, along with STEM dorms. (Cheyenne Haslett/Daily Campus)

Students are already being offered housing off the wait list for the 2016-17 school year, making the list shorter than previous years, according to the University of Connecticut’s Office of Residential Life.

“We have already been able to offer housing to over 300 students from the waiting list and are continuing to evaluate the remaining students on the waiting list every few weeks,” said Kimberly Proulx, associate director of housing services.

Therefore, Proulx said the likelihood of getting off the wait list for on-campus housing is extremely positive.

Proulx said when the waiting list was determined for continuing students after the January housing application deadline, it was at a similar length to previous years. 

The reason for this, Proulx said, is because res life has changed their cancellation policies, deadlines and fees to encourage students to make plans to live off campus earlier.

Even though the wait list is shorter, the amount of housing for students on campus is decreasing, according to Proulx.

“Although we gain more than 700 beds with the Next Gen building, we are losing the spaces in Connecticut Commons.  We are also converting some lounges in Buckley and other areas into study spaces, so this will decrease our number of beds slightly but will help to improve students’ experience in the halls,” Proulx said.

Res Life always experiences a larger number of applications from students than the number they will house, Proulx said, because many students apply for housing while still exploring other options, but later cancel their application or assignment. 

Proulx said that generally the reasons that students are put on the wait list for housing are students who have lived on campus for more than eight semesters, students who missed the January application deadline, students who currently live off campus or commute and graduate students.

One of the largest groups of students who are put on the wait list, Proulx said, are students who have previously canceled their housing but decide they want to move back onto campus. 

“We always tell students when they cancel that it is difficult to return to on-campus housing, because we know these students will be on awaiting list and not guaranteed housing.  Year to year, it depends on the demand for housing of whether or not it is likely that we can offer housing to these students,” Proulx said.  

Emma Krueger is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at emma.krueger@uconn.edu.