UConn’s literary magazine hosts launch party tonight at co-op bookstore

The Long River Review is hosting its launch party Thursday. (Photo/Long River Review)

The University of Connecticut’s literary magazine, The Long River Review, will host its launch party Thursday at 6 p.m. at the Co-op bookstore in Storrs Center.

The launch includes the premiere of the 2016 edition of the magazine as well as readings from the editors, artwork and announcements of the winners of creative writing contests.

“[The release party] will give a taste of what’s in the issue, who the editors are and hopefully encourage other students to get involved,” said Ellen Litman, faculty adviser of this year’s LRR editorial staff.

Litman said that visual arts students collaborated with the LRR staff to create the magazine and are co-hosting the release party with “Poetic Journeys,” a series of poems that has been published annually since Fall 2000, according to the UConn creative writing program’s website.

Prizes include the Edward R. and Frances Schreiber Collins Literary Prizes, the Jennie Hackman Memorial Prize for Fiction, the Wallace Stevens Poetry contest, The Aetna Creative Nonfiction Awards, The Aetna Translation Award, The Aetna Children’s Literature Award and the Long River Graduate Writing Award, according the LRR’s website.

This year, the LRR was staff by 18 students with majors including Biology, human rights and English literature. 

To work for the LRR, students must apply and interview for a position on the staff. If they are accepted, they register for English 3713, a practicum in literary journal editing offered every spring.

The class studies contemporary literary magazines, including established journals like The Kenyon Review, The Paris Review and Poetry, as well as “edgier,” new journals like The Believer, A Public Space and Fence, according to LRR’s website.

“The new issue is really exciting and features a lot of really great student and faculty writers,” said managing editor and eighth-semester English major Theresa Kurzawa.  “I spent most of my time working on the fiction panel going through those pieces and selecting the very best ones for the magazine this year.”

Megan Krementowski is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at megan.krementowski@uconn.edu.