Athlete Spotlight: Getting to know UConn softball’s Heather Fyfe

UConn softball outfielder Heather Fyfe takes a swing during the Huskies' game against the University of Hartford at Burrill Family Field in Storrs, Connecticut on Wednesday, April 27, 2016. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Heather Fyfe is a senior outfielder from Bedford, New Hampshire. In 31 games, she’s batting .262 and is tied for the team lead with 3 home runs. She splits time in right field and has provided UConn with veteran leadership at the plate and in the field.

Fyfe also serves as one of the team’s captains. Staff writer Aaron Esposito was able to chat with Fyfe after UConn’s 16-0 win over Hartford on Wednesday.

Aaron Esposito: What’s your major and why?

Heather Fyfe: I’m majoring in communications and journalism. I wanted to stay working in sports after college and I kind of wanted to take a unique way of getting there. I figured sports writing or sports public relations would be a good way to do that when I came into college and I’ve stuck with that.

If you could play another sport at UConn, what would it be and why?

I think I would play women’s basketball because Geno’s the man and I would love to be able to play with awesome players like Breanna Stewart and maybe shoot a few hoops against them.

Do you have any pregame rituals?

I can’t tell you that. That’s superstitious, I’m really sorry.

Do you have a favorite athlete?

My favorite athlete would be Mike Trout, just cause I love how he plays and how he absolutely loves the game and you can see a smile on his face all the time.

Do you have a favorite team?

Boston Red Sox. And they’re gonna win it all this year.

What’s your favorite thing to do in your free time?

I like to do pretty much anything outdoors with my friends. I had a group of friends last year that always liked to go out and play soccer and stuff, so we’ll just do random sports, play hacky-sack, that type of stuff.

Any favorite musical artists?

I like the Imagine Dragons. I mean, I like alternative music I guess.

Do you have any pets?

I have a dog named Oliver. He’s a German Shepherd.

What’s your favorite place to eat at UConn?

Mooyah. I love burgers. My goal when I go in is to not be able to walk when I come out.

Do you have a favorite movie?

“Peter Pan” would be my favorite movie from childhood.

Favorite TV Show?

Currently “The Office.” I watch at least a few shows every night and it usually ends up being more.

Do you have a favorite cereal brand?

Smacks I think they’re called. They have a little frog on them. They’re really good.

Twitter or Instagram?

Both. You can tweet an Instagram post. If I had to choose one it would be Instagram.

If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?

I think I want to see Italy, just because it’s supposed to be really pretty. I love the culture there and the type of people.

What was your favorite class at UConn and why?

My favorite class was probably philosophy. I really like the way of thinking they teach you and you go in every day and have your mind pretty much blown.

What was your favorite moment at UConn?

The first day. Just because looking back, so much has changed and just the experiences coming from that have been huge.

What would your advice be for freshmen coming in next year?

Just do it all. Say yes to everything. There’s so much at UConn that no matter where you go there’s always something happening and something new to do, so just say yes and do whatever you can because the school has a lot to offer, and live it up.

Aaron Esposito is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering men’s hockey. He can be reached via email at aaron.esposito@uconn.edu.