Lacrosse: Huskies set to face No. 20 Towson in regular season finale

The UConn women’s lacrosse team will take the field for the final time this regular season on Sunday against the No. 20 Towson Tigers at Johnny Unitas Stadium in Baltimore at noon, the first time since 2006 that either of them have faced off against each other. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team will take the field for the final time this regular season on Sunday against the No. 20 Towson Tigers at Johnny Unitas Stadium in Baltimore at noon. This will the first time since 2006 that either of them have faced off against each other.

The Huskies enter Sunday’s game 12-3 overall after a 13-8 loss against No. 2 Florida. Towson (12-3) is coming off a close 11-9 loss against James Madison. The Huskies are 1-4 against Towson all time and the Tigers won the last meeting 16-13.

Sophomore Grace Nolan leads the team in points with 56 (41 goals, 15 assists), and senior captain Katherine Finkelston leads the team in goals with 43. The Huskies are going to need them in this game more than ever because they haven’t done well on offense against ranked opponents this season.

All of the losses the Huskies have suffered this season have come against ranked opponents. The Huskies have been outscored 45-21 in games against ranked opponents this season. They were blown out by No. 19 UMass 15-6, lost to No. 4 Syracuse 17-7 and suffered a heartbreaking loss to No. 2 Florida 13-8.

UConn head coach Katie Woods said it is imperative to not make the same mistakes they made in the Florida game on Sunday.

“I think Florida took advantage and capitalized on our mistakes. That gave them extra momentum throughout the second half.” Woods said.

Towson doesn’t have the same offensive fire power that the Huskies do. Their leading scorer is sophomore Kaitlyn Montalbano with 43 points (28 goals and 15 assists). But they do have a defense that only allows 6.47 goals and 16.6 shots a game. Against Big East opponents this season, they are 1-1; they beat Georgetown 8-7 and lost to No. 2 Florida 15-7.

“Towson goes really hard, play fast, and they’re very athletic.” Coach Woods said. “Those are the main things that we’ve seen from them since we started focusing on them after Florida.”

A win on Sunday would boost the Huskies’ season resume and help their chances at getting into the national tournament.

Matt Fontaine is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus, covering lacrosse. He can be reached via email at matthew.fontaine@uconn.edu.