4 Study spots on campus less basic than Babbidge

Students study in a commuter lounge of the Student Union, the top recommendation for study spaces beyond Homer Babbidge Library. (Jason Jiang/Daily Campus)

It’s exam season and you’re looking for a place to study. Perhaps your roommate keeps playing FIFA all night or smells like a mix of cheese and vanilla frosting. You could go to the library, but maybe you don’t like being in a large crowd of people, even if they are quiet.

Have no fear though, there’s plenty of places on campus to work on whatever your latest project or assignment is. Here are some of my picks for the best non-library places on campus to do work.

4. Dog Lane Cafe

In addition to being able to grab a tasty sandwich or smoothie, the “classier Starbucks” on campus attracts customers that also want to bring their work with them. Though the cafe brings a relatively high amount of people, the atmosphere is pretty quiet and allows you to focus on whatever you need to do, provided that you bring a notebook or laptop. Along with typical chairs and tables comes a comfortable couch-like seat near the back of the restaurant. 

My only complaints would be that sometimes the musical performers at night can be a bit distracting - and that the cafe doesn’t allow you to plug in a laptop or phone charger. Though I’m pretty sure this is because of a fire hazard requirement, it’s still is a negative.

3. Oak Hall

Comfortable chairs, couches outside of classrooms, occasionally open lecture halls and entire labs with computers dedicated for students makes Oak Hall an excellent place to study. It’s spacious, quiet and scenic enough to have what you need around you in order to work - and professors are usually around to help out on whatever you need.

The negatives? I don’t know about the other departments, but I know the journalism department doesn’t allow students to use the kitchen, which is reserved for professors. Apparently, students are such a mess that we can’t be trusted to use a microwave. I believe it. 

2. The Beanery

There are couches, comfy chairs and solid brunch material for you to munch on while you’re working on that last-second English paper you’ve been blowing off for a week or so. While the food menu is obviously not as varied as Dog Lane Cafe, the Beanery, located right in the Benton museum, is easily accessible by students near the middle of campus and also has pretty cheap prices to grab something simple, like a bagel. There’s also nice seats near the window, so if it’s raining outside, you can get a pretty, romantic view of the courtyard near the Student Union.

1. The variety of lounges in the Student Union.

Outside of the library itself, what more could you want? The commuter lounge is big enough to where you don’t feel overwhelmed by the presence of other students, but it’s also quiet enough to where you won’t be too distracted. There’s plenty of study spaces where people are busily typing away at their computers and the variety of alternative options nearby for study breaks also gives incentive to treat yourself for your hard work.

If you’re hungry, you’ve got your assortment of afternoon or evening grub, whether from Dunkin Donuts, Panda Express or anywhere within the student marketplace. When it comes to cramming and getting my work done, I know the different lounges of the student room are where I’m going. 

Anokh Palakurthi is associate life editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at anokh.palakurthi@uconn.edu. He tweets @DC_Anokh.