Dr. Love: Orientation leader searches for independence

Lex Egan, n administrative assistant for the UConn Psychology department and orientation leader, is the first person in her family to attend college. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

Lex Egan is an administrative assistant for the UConn Psychology department, an orientation leader and go-getter. If you’re looking to get to know her, Egan’s strikingly confident independence and goal-oriented attitude will be the first thing you notice.

Hailing from Long Island, New York, Egan is the first member of her immediate family to make it to college - and she takes her academic and professional pursuits extremely seriously. She’s currently an eighth-semester psychology and communications double major looking to pursue higher education and perhaps become involved in a department like advising or admissions for a university.

“Coming to college was a really big deal for me,” Egan said. “I definitely found my place so to speak - and I like working with and helping. It sounds cliche and lame, but that is what it is.”

Egan talked about her time as an orientation leader, mentioning the immense amount of training the university put her in throughout the year. This included a class for credit meant for people in her jobs and an intense application process in the fall. Egan said the result for prospective orientation leaders would be a “long, but productive summer.”

When asked about what she liked about teaching, Egan responded, “my draw [to the job] is to help people who care,” mentioning that the college environment she wanted to be a part of provided her an opportunity to help people reach their own personal goals.

Egan is also involved in Pi Beta Phi, having been a member on the group’s leadership nominating committee, which decided different executive positions for the sorority. She said her involvement in Greek life was not specifically defining for her and that she liked being involved for the connections and opportunities to meet other people.

That said, her desire to meet other people didn’t impede her from focusing on herself. When asked about what her ideal day would be, Egan joked that it would be one where she could sleep in through the morning and go shopping for clothes by herself and enjoy food on her own. In the spring and summer, Egan likes to read various books on her own outside and, at other times, she enjoys going to bars with her friends and family.

One point Egan said she wanted to emphasize was how much she loved to eat tacos or any kind of Mexican food.

“On a scale of one to ten, I’d probably rate tacos at a ten,” Egan said, mentioning that one of her favorite days was when her mom took her out for margaritas and tacos. “Boyfriends? Probably a five or six.”

This doesn’t mean that Egan isn’t completely disinterested. She said the most attractive quality for a partner would be if they were similarly independent and focused on their own goals, while still being able to communicate with and let her pursue what she wants to do. However, she affirmed that she was perfectly fine at the moment being single.

“People assume that if you’re single, you’re doing something wrong,” Egan said, mentioning that being a single woman certainly had its fair share of virtues. “I have so many friends that are worried about why they don’t have a boyfriend - and I just try to tell them that there’s nothing wrong with being single! Why do you have to be constantly texting or talking to another person?” 

Anokh Palakurthi is associate life editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at anokh.palakurthi@uconn.edu. He tweets @DC_Anokh.