Student Recreation Facility opens bike share program

A student's bike is parked at a bike stand outside the Student Recreation Facility. The Student Recreation Facility recently announced it will open a Cycle Share program for students to rent bikes for the day. (Rebecca Newman/Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut Recreation Center has announced the opening of Cycle Share Bikes, a bicycle rental package available to Student Recreational Facility (SRF) members.

The cost of the rental package is $20 for the rest of the spring semester, which includes a bike, helmet and bike lock, according to the SRF website; however, bike availability is limited to 15 packages.

According to website, there is a possibility of expanding the bike package availability if there is an increased demand on campus, but until then students can only rent one bike at a time and cannot increase their rental time.

“It’s the perfect mode of transportation to get around campus, tour Horsebarn Hill or enjoy the shops and restaurants in Storrs Center,” SRF’s website said.

Students can reserve their bikes online and pick them up at the Adventure Center located in the Student Union, according SRF’s site.

Bike rentals are available to any member of the Student Recreation Facility, which includes all UConn students as well as some members of the community.

Bike packages are due back at the end of the business day after the reservation. Failure to return your bike will incur a $10 late fee, which will be added to the user’s bill, SRF said.

The site also indicated that the last Cycle Share equipment return time for the Spring 2016 semester is Thursday, April 28th by 5 p.m.

Additional fees may be added such as a damage fee or a replacement fee, which will cost the retail price for replacing equipment or the bike.

“It (Cycle Share) is cool because students who don't normally have access to bikes can use them to explore the campus and surrounding areas in a whole new way,” said Samuel Sweitzer, fourth-semester accounting major.

Emma Krueger is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at emma.krueger@uconn.edu.