Lacrosse: Huskies head northwest to take on Big East rival Marquette

UConn lacrosse sophomore attack Grace Nolan runs upfield during the Huskies' game against Villanova at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex in Storrs, Connecticut on Saturday, March 26, 2016. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team will look to remain undefeated in conference play as they take the field Saturday afternoon against Big East rival Marquette. The Huskies are 3-0 against the Golden Eagles.

The Huskies (8-2, 2-0)  are coming off a dominating 17-6 win against Cincinnati last Saturday after losing to No. 4 Syracuse at the Carrier Dome last Tuesday. The Huskies are looking to harness last weekend’s intensity as they face the Golden Eagles in Milwaukee this weekend.

“I think the biggest take away was that in order for us to find success in a game, we have to play as a team and compete as a unit for the entire game,” UConn coach Kathleen Woods said.

Senior Katherine Finkelston leads the Huskies with 38 goals this season, which is first in the Big East. She is followed by sophomore Grace Nolan with 29, which is second in the Big East.

Senior Shannon Nee will playing goalie for the Huskies. This will be her 11th start of the season. So far this season she has saved 99 goals and only allowed 86 out of 223 shots taken against her. That save percentage of .588 is the third highest in the Big East.

Finkelston grabbed her fourth conference weekly honor by being named the Big East Attacker of the Week after scoring six goals against Cincinnati last Saturday. 

Marquette (4-7, 1-0) is entering Saturday’s match up after cruising past Villanova 15-6 in their conference opener. Junior Julianna Shearer and Sophomore Allison Lane led the team with three goals apiece.

“We came out really strong and we came out with fire. We played well, we played hard and we played together. I think getting out to a quick start was really important,” Marquette’s head coach Meredith Black said after the game according to gomarquette.com, 

A quick start is going to be crucial for the Golden Eagles once UConn has scored the most goals and the most point in conference play this season. Marquette will rely on Shearer and Lane, who have scored the most and second most goals for the team this season, to help the Golden Eagles get off to that fast start.

“Marquette is very good,” Woods said. “We’ve watched almost all of their games and they’re in it with top teams. They’re athletic, scrappy, and really competitive and they’re sound defensively and offensively.”

Matt Fontaine is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus, covering lacrosse. He can be reached via email at matthew.fontaine@uconn.edu.