Football: Diaco inks 2 year extension through 2020

UConn football head coach Bob Diaco on the sidelines during the Huskies' game against Army at Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Connecticut on Saturday, Sept. 12, 2015. (Bailey Wright/The Daily Campus)

After leading the UConn football program to their first bowl appearance in five years, head coach Bob Diaco has signed a two-year extension to remain head coach of the Huskies through the 2020 season, according to Sports Illustrated’s Pete Thamel.

The second-year head coach boats an 8-17 record in his time at UConn, including a 6-7 campaign last fall that ended with a loss to Marshall in the St. Petersburg Bowl. The extension was a perk of Diaco’s original contract, and his extension comes just months after he was contacted by other FBS schools looking to fill their respective head coaching vacancies.

Diaco’s extension will go into effect in 2019 and last through the 2020 season. Per ESPN’s Brett McMurphy, Diaco is slated to make $2 million in 2019 and and $2.1 million in 2020. If he remains at UConn through his initial contract and begins serving his extension in 2019, he will receive a $500,000 retention bonus for completing his initial contract on Dec. 31, 2018.

Diaco will begin his third season as head coach Thursday, Sept. 1 as the Huskies take on FCS foe Maine at Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field. Kickoff time is yet to be announced.

Dan Madigan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @dmad1433.