University construction causes detour to UConn Dairy Bar until August

Ice cream at the UConn Dairy Bar is an attraction for many visitors and students. Ongoing construction will cause temporary detours in getting to the Dairy Bar as the main access road to the ice cream shop will be cut off in the process. (Amar Batra/Daily Campus)

An ongoing construction project at the University of Connecticut will cause temporary detours to the popular UConn Dairy Bar this summer, according to a UConn press release.

The project includes replacing aged steam and water distribution lines that are utilized by many academic and residential university buildings on the eastern side of campus, according to the release.

The intersection of Route 195 and Horsebarn Hill Extension, which serves as the main access road to get to the Dairy Bar, along with other roads, will be inaccessible during the duration of the construction project.

“The detours are expected to continue into August, depending on progress at the construction sites, but will conclude before the start of the fall semester on Aug. 29,” the release said.

Regular traffic and buses traveling on Route 195 will enter on the eastbound access road north of UConn’s Bio Science Complex – which will be limited to one-way traffic. Parking will be available in the lot east of UConn’s yellow dairy barn, and limited parking will be available in the smaller lot next to the south side of the yellow barn. Handicap vehicles will be directed through a parking lot behind the School of Agriculture to reserved parking at the Dairy Bar, Guests arriving by bus will be dropped off at the far end of the Agricultural Biotechnology Laboratory, and signs will direct passenger vehicles to the exit, according to the release.

A visual map provided by UConn via press release on the detours. (Courtessy/UConn)

The ice cream hot spot will still hold regular hours, operating from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. every day during the summer, with the exception of being closed on Independence Day. The observation window, where customers can watch ice cream being made, will operate between the hours of 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. on weekdays, according to the release.

The Dairy Bar serves about 200,000 customers each year, from students and alumni to families and groups that stop by after visiting other parts of campus, University Spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said.

“(The Dairy Bar) is especially popular each summer with families on day trips, children’s groups on field trips, social groups on excursions, and people in the region who enjoy getting ice cream and visiting UConn’s farm animals,” the release said.

Molly Stadnicki is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at molly.stadnicki@uconn.edu.